06: Why Does The First Party I Ever Go To Have To End In Me Being Shot

Y/N ROGERS

"I'm sorry, I was asleep. Or... I was a... dream?" I was a dream... a dream... dream...

"I've come to save the world..." Save the world... the world... world...

"Stark is... he's a sickness!" He's a sickness... a sickness... sickness...

"This... is the next me." The next me... next me... me...

The voice was robotic, and chased me through the darkness of the dreamscape...

*

I woke up in a cold sweat. I shook my head, trying to remember what the voice had been saying. Something about being in a dream? Saving the world? There was something about Tony being a sickness – he was referred to by his surname, so it may have been someone else...

The more I thought about it, the more the dream seemed to slip away. None of it made any sense, yet it all felt... real.

I decided to clear my head by training. No one was down in the gym yet – I must have just missed Steve, and Natasha and Clint would be here any minute. I started with some warm ups and exercise, and just as I had guessed, Natasha and Clint arrived. The two of them joined me in my workout, Clint going just a bit slower than usual so that he didn't damage himself. Natasha and I ended up sparring. The widow was extremely talented, and almost too much for me. We were pretty evenly matched, but she did have the upper hand, and I was eventually pinned down on the mat.

"Excited for the party?" Natasha asked, pulling me up.

"Yeah," I responded. "I've never been to one before."

Clint laughed. "You'll love it."

I hoped so.

The day passed by quickly, and before I knew it, it was time to get ready for the party. Natasha had picked out a lovely, navy blue dress that reached my calves, as well as some nude heels to match. I styled my hair nicely before taking a deep breath and heading out to the party.

There were lots of people, and chatter filled the air. Guests were drinking and laughing with one another, and I scoured the room for someone I knew. I spotted Steve and Sam playing a game of pool, and I made my way over to them.

"Hey, Y/n," Sam greeted as I neared, reaching over to give me a one-armed hug. "Steve was just telling me about your first mission!"

"She did really well," Steve said, pride evident in his voice.

I shrugged and smiled. "I try."

Sam grinned at me and I watched him and Steve play pool for a bit before getting bored, and heading off to find other people I knew. Natasha made me a mocktail at the bar, and poured Maria a glass of whatever she was drinking. I watched Natasha's eyes linger on Maria as she left, and I swiftly stored that titbit of information away.

The party got louder, and I found myself in need of some peace and quiet. I headed out to the balcony where I could see the lights of Manhattan shining in the night. I could still hear the sounds of party-goers, but it was quieter; calmer. I leaned my elbows on the railing and breathed in the fresh air, while my mind wandered to Pietro, as it had been doing a lot recently.

Why had I been dreaming of him? Steve had suggested that it was from my past, but I wasn't so sure. And what had happened when I thought I had been pushed over when Pietro ran past me, but in reality he'd been a few seconds away? Had I somehow seen the future, somehow seen what was going to happen before it did, so that I could defend myself? Or was it just some "glitch-in-the-matrix"?