Chapter 3 - Wildest Dreams

It was Gracie's first day at a new school, and although she was nervous, breakfast with her foster family was more daunting. If it was anything like dinner, they'd sit in agonizing silence again. Gracie was relieved when she came downstairs to find Rachel and her mother sitting at the kitchen island chatting away about some reality show they watched together.

"Morning," Rachel said as she beamed at Gracie. They hadn't known each other long, but she felt like Gracie was a friend.

"Hi," Gracie sat down at the island.

"Help yourself to breakfast, love," Mary said as she pushed a stack of fluffy pancakes over to Gracie. It was like nothing she'd ever seen before, at least not in real life. Maple syrup oozed down the side of the stack, making Gracie's mouth water. Sliced strawberries, blueberry jam, and chocolate sprinkles were among the myriad of toppings Mary had laid out.

"Wow, this looks incredible," she said to Mary as she piled her plate high. She shoveled a forkful into her mouth so fast you'd think she hadn't eaten in days. She listened to Mary and Rachel as they excitedly gossiped about one of the neighbors, Gracie felt normal for a change.

However, the atmosphere shifted when John walked into the kitchen, and Rachel and Mary both stopped talking. Their smiles faded and all of the color drained from their faces. Rachel sat up straight, Mary adjusted her apron and dusted away the powdered sugar on her hands. Gracie stayed still, waiting for someone to talk.

"Morning, John," Mary rose from her seat, offering it to her husband.

The room stayed silent as he sat down and started eating while he scrolled through messages on his cell phone, he said nothing and looked at no one.

"John, darling, would you drive Gracie to school, please dear?" Mary spoke tentatively to her husband.

Something about the way Mary carried herself around John made Gracie question their relationship. She was still smiling, but it seemed forced now. Rachel was on edge too; shoving her books in her bag, rushing to get out of the house. She didn't even say goodbye before she left.

John looked up from his phone and turned directly to Gracie, with a mouthful of food he said, "Yeah, sure, come on, kid," John smiled for the first time since Anita had dropped Gracie off.

After scarfing down her breakfast, Gracie followed her foster father out to the car, making sure to thank Mary for the breakfast she didn't get to finish on the way out.

John's car was incredible; heated seats - unnecessary for California - and a cream leather interior. John pushed a button near the steering wheel that lowered the soft top of the black car, and he started to drive.

Gracie had assumed he was just a quiet guy, but he talked to her the whole way to school, asking questions about her, but not the same things that Rachel asked. He wanted to know what TV shows she liked and seemed upset when she told him her last group home didn't have a TV, so he changed the subject to her school life.

"I'm not very good at school, I just find it hard to concentrate, and I've been to so many different places it's hard to keep up," Gracie said.

"That can't be true," John laughed and glanced over at her, "I bet you're real smart."

Gracie blushed at the compliment, most foster parents assumed the worst in her. "Thank you, but I'm not. I do okay in English, though."

She wasn't a bad student, just average, sometimes slightly below depending on her home life, but in English, she excelled, no matter the school or what was going on in her life. It was her place to shine.

"I bet you do. You're very well-spoken for a girl your age, very mature," John complimented her again, Gracie wasn't used to all this positive attention. But she didn't hate it either.