Chapter 12 - Snow On The Beach

Lilah and Stella were both working late that night, so the Tucker kids would have to get themselves home from school and make sure dinner was ready by the time their parents finished work. So while Marco was at soccer practice, the kids walked two by two along the sidewalk. Gracie walked alongside Danny and tried to ask him about their homework, but he kept changing the subject. There was only one thing on his mind.

"Come on, G, we all saw you guys on the bench this morning," he was just kidding around but Gracie didn't want to talk about Jason, it was too private, "What did you say after he kissed you?"

"What do you mean?" Gracie asked.

"Well, you told him you weren't interested, right? I mean, it wasn't that long ago that you said you wanted to be with Rachel."

Gracie sighed when she heard the name of the girl who she'd hurt so terribly. Yes, it hadn't been long since what happened on the beach, but Gracie was starting to move on, and who better to do that with than the boy who had already made it clear he was interested?

"Yeah, but then I talked to him, like really talked, and- I don't know, it's just so easy," they reached the front lawn of the Tucker house.

"Gracie," Danny stopped her, and waited for Maia and Riley to go inside, "You told Riley and me that you're gay, you put that label on yourself which was a really brave thing to do, so do you really want to take a step back now? You can't just choose to date a guy because it's easier, it doesn't work like that," he said frustratedly. It was as if he was taking it personally.

"I know, and I still think I am mostly gay, maybe totally gay, except for him. You said no matter how I identify, you'll always support me, does it have to be so black and white?"

Danny was about to launch a retort when a car pulled up beside them, Marco and Jason were inside.

"What happened to soccer practice?" Danny asked.

Marco got out of the car, "Long story short, Mikey Wilson hurt his foot and the coach had to take him to the hospital," he tossed his soccer ball to Danny, who on a good day struggled to catch a cold. Naturally, he ducked and ended up chasing the ball down the street. Gracie wasn't paying attention though, she was too busy looking at Jason's car.

"You like it?" Jason pulled it into an empty spot and got out.

"Yeah, it's nice," Gracie tried to act cool.

"You don't know anything about cars do you?" Jason laughed, but he wasn't belittling her, and Gracie laughed too.

"Not a thing, but I like the color."

Jason took a few steps closer to Gracie, waited for Danny and Marco to go inside, and he kissed her, "You didn't tell me it was your birthday tomorrow," he whispered.

Gracie pulled away, "I didn't tell anyone. How did you find out?" She turned as pale as a ghost.

"I went into the office at school to get my book that one of my teachers confiscated and your file was on the desk and-"

"You looked in my file?" Gracie stepped further away. God knows what that file says, and how it might make her look.

"No, no, it just said your date of birth on the front," Jason stepped closer, "Gracie, I would never violate your privacy like that, I promise."

She let him take her hands and she sighed in relief, "Oh, sorry," Jason led her up to the porch swing and sat her down, "I just- I'm not a big fan of birthdays, all that attention, it just freaks me out," she laughed nervously.

"Well, are you doing anything special with your family?"

"You mean the Tuckers? No, I asked my foster moms to keep it a secret."