Chapter 26 -- I Am A Shrine Maiden Now!?

"Ahh...it is finally winter break, and no school!" as I have waited for this very moment to finally be upon us. I had not been able to play my videogames as I have been far too lazy to walk over to Kaori's place to pick up my power cords. When it is cold and snowy outside...there really isn't much incentive to walk the block to the Natori household.

So, I vegetate here on the sofa as I read my textbooks...needing to refresh my memory. The words of Manzoku sensei continue to linger with me:

'...you have great potential Tamaya-san; but only if you put in the effort.'

I was driven to do as sensei had advised me. I would work hard, study, and refresh my memory as I not only wanted to be at the top of my class...I wanted to be at the top of my grade...and maybe consider being the school's Onee-sama.

My sister walked over with my tests in her hand "A moment, Imouto-chan." she said as I glanced up from my social studies textbook. "I've never seen you study this hard!"

"Most of it is a refresher course." I told her "If I am going to be at the top of my class, I want to do everything that I can do to prepare myself. Plus, the more confident that I am in my studies, the better I can help my friends also study for their exams."

"Aww...that makes me so proud of you, Imouto-chan!" My sister placed my tests down on the table as she then produced a piece of paper and presented it to me.

"What is that?" As I took the paper from her as I noticed that it had a handwritten address upon it "Onee-chan?" as this didn't mean anything to me.

"Remember our deal?" she then asked me as I nodded, gulping. "I managed to set you up an interview this afternoon. Please go to this place, and do your best!"

"But..." as my heart pound hard "...I am too young to have a job!"

"It isn't a paid job, Imouto-chan. You can use your hours for volunteer credits back at school. Please, just try your best to remain open-minded. Okay?"

"Okay." I nodded as I got up and dressed in a nice outfit and took my purse. I glanced back at my sister as I asked her, pleading "But, are you sure that this is a really good and safe idea?"

"Yes. Now go, or you will be late!" as she pushed me out of the house.

I stepped onto the street, looking at the house as Keiko closed the door. I did not like this one single bit; being sent out into the world without a name of the place that I was going. I plugged the address into my cellphone as I did not have far to go...maybe ten miles at most. And luckily, the train went through the community that was squeezed between Mt. Echizen and Mount Mikuni.

Paying my fare on the train, I traveled from my community, riding the train towards the coast. When we reached the next station, I walked over to the door as I quickly got off the train and exited the station as I entered a new place.

I followed my GPS signal towards the address as I found myself standing outside the massive red torii gate that marked the boundary of the shrine. I glanced at my cellphone and noticed that my destination was 'within' the boundary of the shrine.

"Onee-chan... just what did you do!?" as I thought about leaving and saying that the interview had gone poorly.

To make matters far 'worse', this shrine was also an Inari shrine. And though I appear as a human girl, I am actually a kitsune possessing this body, living off of Nanami's lifeforce. My spirit was intertwined with the Gods of Inari, the spirit world, my sister and friend Nanami, and my sister Keiko. I did not know what would happen to me if I stepped across the threshold.