Chapter 27 -- I Am Having A Sleepover!? Part 1

A knock on my door awakened me as I wiped the sleep from my eyes "Yea...?" I called as my door slid open. Keiko glanced into my dark room as she softly said to me.

"Did you bake these cookies?" she asked me, holding the package in her hand.

"I did have a little help from Miki-chan, but yes, I baked them myself." I answered 'Oh, she must have found them!'

"Aww...Nanami-chan!" she cried "Just seeing how far you have come...makes me so proud to be your sister!"

"Thank you...Onee-chan." I softly said, yawning.

"No shrine work for this morning?" she then asked me.

"No, sensei has given me the holiday off. I am to return however on the 31st to help with preparations for Hatsumode." I got up, figuring that I was now wide awake "Onee-chan!" I said, glancing up at her "Thank you for arranging that interview. It is really nice to have a focus and purpose in life. I have been getting more comfortable around people, thanks to the shrine. Thank you!"

"I am happy that you are happy, Nanami." she said, coming into my room and sitting beside me, holding me in her arms "I know that this has been a rather difficult year for you: becoming a Japanese girl, learning the truth about what had happened at Ishinomaki, making new friends, and going back to school. The simple fact that you are 'still' a shrine maiden, and enjoying the job, makes me have hope for you."

I nodded, smiling "I have not changed into a kitsune since the hot spring incident. And to be honest..." I looked away, embarrassed "...I think that I now no longer associate with being a boy any longer. Things that once had hurt my ego, now no longer affect me. I barely can imagine myself ever being Jeremy...only Nanami. Is this natural?"

"I did mention that this moment would come." she softly said "It is a good thing though! It means that you are taking control of your mortal earthly life and moving further away from the immortal Spirit World."

"I know..." I nodded "...and I am very glad that you helped me reclaim this life." I pondered for a moment as I then said "Onee-chan...I want to remain working at the shrine for as long as possible. Hasegawa sensei tells me that if I work really hard, my volunteering could turn into employment by the end of high school."

"That is wonderful news, Imouto-chan!" she celebrates "You do make a very cute miko-san! Thank you for the pictures, too!" as I just smiled, so happy that sister was happy with those photographs.

"Well, since it is winter break...can I sleep for just a little longer?" I asked Keiko as she nodded.

"Of course!" she kindly said "But not into the afternoon hours."

"Agreed!" as I laid down and invited sleep to take me away to dreamland.

"Thank you again for the cookies!"

"You are very welcome!" I said as my sister closed the door and I drifted off to sleep.

Sometime between 10 to noon, I relocated myself to the sofa as I was fully dressed...but celebrating on the sofa as winter break felt like a prestigious award for all of my hard work!

"All the toiling and trouble! The trials and tribulations! I have finally achieved absolute nirvana! Utopia of laziness...take me home to your warm fields of pleasure!" I cheered as I declared "For a week and a half...I will rest and relax to regain my strength!"

My sister stood between the living room and kitchen, glancing at me as she shook her head in disappointment 'Not if I can help it, my dear Imouto-chan! You have made so much progress...I will not let you waste it all away!'