Chapter 33 -- I Am Giving Valentine's As A Girl!?

The next day...

I was up early in the morning, just before sunrise. The house was actually quite warm today, thanks to my sister increasing the heat to fight off the cold. However, with me feeling much better now, I was almost certain that this was going to end very soon. As a way of saying 'thank you' to Keiko for nursing me back to health, I decided to cook breakfast for her. I cracked a few eggs and mixed in vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar to make French toast, and fried a slab of bacon to serve on the side. I sliced up a sweet red apple and added it to the dishes.

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs as with the lights turned on, Keiko called out "Nanami?"

"In the kitchen." I answered, cooking the toast in a frypan. My sister walked in, sniffing as she looked at the plated bacon and ivory white sliced apples dished up for breakfast.

"What is this!?" she asked, looking over my shoulder as I was just finishing up the French toast.

"Uhm," as I struggled with the word, thinking 'How do I say it?' "Furench—itōsuto?"

"French toast?" she answered as I nodded.

"Yes! French toast!" I nodded, thinking about how strange it was to forget a word as simple as 'French'. "I wanted to make you the breakfast that my mom and dad always made for me; as a way of saying thank you for taking care of me when I was sick."

"Aww...you are so cute right now!" My sister smiled as we sat at the table, putting our own two hands together in prayer as we both said in unison 'itadakimasu', and dug into the breakfast.

***

At school, I sat at my desk as many of the students welcomed me back, and were happy to see that I had recovered from my self-inflicted cold. At lunch break, I was joined by Mira, Ashly, and Kaori as we all sat together in our classroom and ate our meals while we engaged in everything from celebrity males that we like, to the new spring fashion in the mall.

Mira passed a pink metal canteen to me as she said "I made you something special, Nanami-chan! It is my own vitamin drink for getting over colds."

"Aww...thank you so much Mira-chan!" I glanced at it and then noticed that both Kaori and Ashly were begging me 'not' to drink it as Mira's remedies were as tasteless as her cooking.

Kaori glanced at Ashly as she whispered to her best friend "We need to save her before she gets sick again!"

"Huh?!" Ashly replied, glancing at her friend. Kaori grabbed Ashly by the arm so that she could not run away as she gladly told Mira a lie.

"Actually, Mira-chan...Ashly-chan is feeling a little under the weather, can you give her a cup of your remedy!?"

"Waaah!" Ashly freaked out as I watched this display of resistance as it was obvious that whatever this remedy was...it must be super bad! I handed the canteen back Mira as gladly poured Ashly a cup. Kaori held her Irish friend down just as Mira poured the foul liquid down her throat. It only took a moment to see the effects of Mira's position as Ashly's face had turned a nauseous shade of green.

"Nanami-chan..." Mira says, handing me a cup. I glanced down at the green liquid as I felt like I might vomit just by looking at it. And the smell certainly did not help to improve its appearance! "...drink it down quickly before it hardens." she jokes. I put the cup to my lips as my friends all glanced at me as Kaori could not believe that I was actually going to do it, especially after seeing Ashly's violent reaction.

Once the liquid went down, I felt a terrible gagging urge forcing me up quickly as I ran to the restroom, feeling like I was going to get sick. Once I ran into the toilet stall, I vomited the gross green slime into the toilet bowl and felt my body reacting to the potion as my fox ears popped up on my head.