CHAPTER ELEVEN

PART THREE
— Three more years later

Aarag lowered down first into the cavern. Dust and sand falling down as he did. Next, was Detroi he floated down to the ground using magic. The temple floor cracking beneath their feet. Inside the temple was dark, the only shreds of light coming from the cracks in the walls and ceiling. Detroi picked up a piece of wood, and whispered a spell, then from his mouth, flames lit the stick.
    "This place is ancient." Detroi said.
    Aarag moved forward shifting through the dark. "Lead the way detroi."
    "At your command, your majesty." Detroi said, sarcastically.
   The flame flickered in the dark. Lighting the way through ancient halls, illuminating the arac webs and carvings on the walls.
    "I can feel the presence of magic close by. This may be it."
    "Excellent." Aarag replied.
  The next room was big and wide, completely made of stone, an ancient altar in the middle.
    "Is this the 'shrine'?" Detroi asked.
    "It must be. What do we do now?" Aarag asked.
    "Well, the text says the spell was conducted by killing a magical being. Then filling the alter with the blood of the being and that will complete the spell."
    "I've come so far... and yet another hoop to jump through. " Aarag said. His eyes were transfixed on the altar, gently placing his hand on it.
    "There are plenty of Xioalin at the temple we can abduct." Detroi said. "One step closer to –"
   Detroi paused from the pain of a blade deep in his back. Another strike, and another, and another. Blood dripped down on to the altar, sliding down the unique stone design.
   Blood covered Aarags hand, the blade sliding out fast as he pulled back. Detroi dropped to his knees.
   "What are you... doing?" Detroi said.
   "Releiving you of your duties." Aarag said. He stepped over detroi placing the blade to the latter's neck. "Your sacrifice will not be in vain. You are the first step to a perfect utopia."
   With a swift motion, detroi's body jerked and was limp, falling face first on the stone floor. His blood circles the altar, turning it scarlet. The altar lights up, shaking with burning energy. Aarag steps back from the altar, feeling the energy from Detroi's body sink into his own.
   His body became hot all over. His veins bursting with a radiant spark. His eyes could see more than the universe could offer. He was sick no more. The universe was at his beck and call. To use for his own, as if it was waiting for him to command it. It wasn't light, it was black. The dark had chosen Aarag as its lone champion. The one to walk with the universe as its weapon and its shield.
   "Yes, I Will."