Chapter 4

One week passed on Asgard. And then another. She received no word on Thor's whereabouts. Whether that was from asking Skurge directly or Sif. The young woman didn't exactly trust the new gatekeeper's sight. It was nothing compared to Heimdall's. And he seemed to relish this attention and elite title a little too much for her liking. She observed him among the Asgardians discreetly. The use of her gift allowed the agent to blend into the surroundings unseen. Like when she tried to sneak up on Loki during his attack on New York City. To when the agent escorted the Avengers through the open shipping yard in Wakanda during the Ultron incident.

Skurge enjoyed the finer things in life. And he enjoyed flaunting his newfound position. The fact that the Asgardian seemed to enjoy wandering the city center streets or frequented the pubs also worried Anya. Heimdall almost always stood watch at the Bifrost. To be certain that the Nine Realms were safe and at peace. At lease the few times she saw him away from the post there was the comfort that he could still see any danger or keep an eye on the realms. Obviously, Skruge didn't worry too much about the threats that may present themselves.

"What are your thoughts on Skruge?" Anya questioned.

Sif and her were lounging in the private quarters set aside for Thor's friends to converse and relax beyond their own rooms in the palace.

"He's under qualified," the female warrior stated.

"Then I'm not the only one that thinks so..."

The corner of Sif's mouth twitched in a smirk. "He's a skilled Asgardian warrior, he has ambition, but he's incapable of filling Heimdall's shoes."

"And this promotion hasn't gone to his head?"

"Oh, it has. And in the process, he's improved his own wealth. Claims that Heimdall was an idiot for not taking advantage of these benefits of having access to everything in the Nine Realms."

It wasn't hard to see the annoyance in the woman's eyes from the jab at her friend.

"Having control over the Bifrost wasn't built to make one wealthy," Anya said.

"Exactly. But he's all we got at the moment. Odin appointed him. No matter how questioning it may be."

"Have you heard from Heimdall?"

"No. He's gone off the grid. But our information claims he's still here on Asgard."

"But he may have slipped off. I mean, there are portals. Ways to pass through to other realms."

"Like when you were transported to the Dark World."

Anya nodded.

"We considered this, but after Malekith's defeat, Odin ordered those security breaches be handled. At least those that we found. If there were any others... their locations died with Loki."

It was nice. To be able to talk and confided in Sif with Thor away. That wasn't to say that she didn't trust the Warriors Three. Thor trusted them with his life. After all, they assisted the brothers when they smuggled her out of Asgard. Before the Aether managed to consume and kill her. However, Sif had been by her side through a lot that followed Malekith's defeat. Things they shared and kept as secrets between one another at her home on Midgard.

"Do you think I should tell them?" Anya wondered.

Sif knew she spoke of the Warriors Three. "Tell them what?"

"About the Aether?"

The female thought it over for a moment. "Yes. But not here on Asgard if you can manage it." Meaning, not when Odin was present. "Invite them to your home when you return."