Chapter 29

The agony that Anya felt at the news of Volstagg, Hogun, and Fandral's deaths was something she hadn't experienced in a long time. The young woman's legs gave out, collapsing to the ground, head in her hands as she began to cry uncontrollably. Thor was in stunned silence. It felt like a punch to gut had stolen all the air in his lungs. Heimdall's words rang in the god's ears. His lifelong friends had been the first ones to fall at Hela's hands upon her arrival. Volstagg and Fandral were caught off guard by her arrival through the Bifrost and didn't have time to defend themselves. While Hogun lead Asgards warriors to battle and fought till his last breath.

Brunnhilde's heart went out to them for their loss. She stood beside Hulk, unable to step forward and offer comfort. It wasn't really her place nor was she good at it. Loki stood opposite with a sullen expression. While he always looked down on the Warriors Three for their antics and lack of tact, they were still part of his life. Before he went down another path. Volstagg and Fandral didn't deserve a death like that. They should've died in battle like Hogun. Fighting for Asgard as warriors until their last breath.

At least Sif was still off world. She had been spared. Yet there was no way to reach her given the current situation. Somehow, Thor would need to figure out a way to find the Asgardian to inform her of what happened. But now wasn't the time. The prince kneeled beside his girlfriend and dragged her into a tight embrace. Anya leaned into him, finding it difficult to catch her breath.

"Everyone, find a place to rest," Heimdall spoke up. "It has been a very long day. I will oversee this vessel."

Many began to break off to find lodging. Thor nodded his thanks, unable to find words. He lifted Anya into his arms as they followed after other Asgardians further into the ship.

"Will they be alright?" Brunnhilde wondered.

"In time," Heimdall said. "It would be best not to bother them until they are ready."

"Thor is king now," Loki said. "He needs to be a leader as we are very vulnerable at the moment."

"Yes, but not tonight. Making any decisions right now would be rash and not thought through properly. As king, Thor needs to come forward with a clear mind for it to be decided what to do next."

"I will set a course to a part of the galaxy that would offer us safety and protection," Brunnhilde said. "It's not far from our location."

"Do that."

Despite the overwhelming sadness, the exhaustion was too much to remain conscious. The moment Thor and Anya found a place to sleep both laid on the bed and passed out in minutes. The couple held one another tightly. As if afraid to let go even in sleep. It was a comfort both of them needed right now after a hard day and devastating news.

For hours, the occupants of the airship slept guarded by Heimdall, who watched the galaxy closely with Hofund in his possession. Anya was the first to wake. Her eyes were red and aching. Nose stuffed from all the crying she had done. Her chest hurt from how hard her breaths had been. But the pain in her heart affected the young woman more. Thor continued to sleep soundly beside the mortal. Looking to be in deep as he didn't stir from the slight movements she made.

Anya was grateful that they had made it out alive. That despite what occurred on Sakaar, escape was possible. However, the young woman felt so much guilt. If only they hadn't fallen from the Bifrost then the Warriors Three may still be alive. Thor and her would've fought alongside them, warned Asgard of Hela so no one was in the dark about her abilities.

But it was too late to change the past. No way to turn back the clock to save their friends. All they could do was move forward. Asgard was still at risk among the cosmos without a place to call home. Without a proper defense system in case another spaceship wasn't friendly. Then her attention went to the missing eye. In their emotional turmoil last night, both had failed to take proper care of the injury.