Chapter 18

Anya sat in an alcove. Behind the safety of the Aether. The aliens were brutal to the clone created as a safety precaution. While the Aether laced with it could have lashed out in order to protect itself or scare off the attackers, Anya held the dark matter back. To observe the strangers and learn more about their situation. They had no idea the real Anya had switched out before they laid eyes on the human. So the clone played along. Bruises broke out on the skin, blood dripping from wounds when their nails cut too deep. The clone even collapsed to make it appear like the beating had been too much for the mortal to handle. And eventually laid unconscious.

"Make it look like I'm barely breathing," she muttered.

The Aether followed her direction.

The pink skinned alien kicked Anya's side to make her roll onto her back. "Come on," she scoffed. "What happened to that backbone of yours?"

"Just a front," the green alien said. "Figures."

"How did she manage to trick the Grandmaster like that to get this far?" the blue one wondered. Her boot pressed against one of Anya's cheeks to further study the human's face. "Well, that didn't last nearly as long as I'd like."

Finally, they retreated back the way they came out of sight. Anya didn't allow the clone to move all night to keep up the ruse. In the protection of the illusion set in place, the Aether surfaced to wrap its dark matter around the host. In a cocoon of sorts in a display of affection and protection. The young woman found herself able to rest. Even in a strange place such as Sakaar.

A loud blaring sound echoed in the hallway hours later. Anya jolted awake from the horrible noise. The Aether screeched in retaliation and circled tighter around the agent.

"I'm all right," she spoke groggily.

There was movement at both ends of the curving hallway. Various aliens emerged to head for the door that Anya entered through as guards now stood at attention. The ones who beat the clone mercilessly walked over or 'accidentally' kicked at her body in passing. While the others barely spared her a second glance.

One of the guards noticed the human and approached her limp form.

"Oi!" the man shouted. "You heard the call! Get up!"

Anya willed the illusion to react when the guard kicked her side harshly. She gasped awake and rolled onto a side. Coughing harshly to regain her breath.

"I said, up!" he ordered.

Grabbing her by the hair, Anya yelped and scrambled to her feet. He let go once she was up and shoved her forward.

"Go!"

Limping out of the room, the young woman decided to follow after. To figure out just what the Grandmaster had planned. There were more guards that escorted their group through various corridors till they arrived in a large room. Walls were covered in armor and various weapons, a few standing shelves holding more. Some of the weapons Anya had never seen before. And all looked worn from years of use. A few aliens took up weapons without a second thought. Others testing out a few before they picked.

The clone glanced around through one eye, the other nearly swelled shut. There were quite a number of bruises on her person that had developed over the hours. Though Anya wasn't sure how long it had been since her arrival. There were no windows where they had been held. And even in this room there were no signs of the outside world. While the fake continued to play along and search the walls, the real one searched for areas to hatch an escape.

"See anything useful?" she muttered lowly.

The Aether clicked in response.

"Me neither... And I'm not sure how far we'd get with this thing still on my neck." She sighed. "We'll have to keep playing along for now."