Chapter 20

Living as a champion came with more benefits than what Anya witnessed from afar. No longer did the Aether have to keep a watch over her publicly while she rested. And the medical care was better after matches. There were attendants just like the escort had said. That came to take care of Anya in her private quarters outside of matches. Brought every meal and fulfilled all requests. The young woman's armor was upgraded as well. The Grandmaster came personally to deliver the gift. He liked to have his champions dress the part in a grand manner. To really sell it to the audience. There were even two chests full of weapons. Various ones that weren't worn or stained with blood. Brand new. The leader of Sakaar really believed in her capabilities. Unless...

"Is there something you want?" Anya questioned.

"What makes you think that?" the Grandmaster wondered.

"These are lavish gifts. And quite the upgrade in living quarters. You have other prized fighters. They aren't your champions, but they are good enough to bring in money for bets and a crowd on nights when Hulk doesn't fight. All of them had to work for that position. I jumped from the low tier to the highest one possible in a night."

"While you may have been living amongst the lower ranked gladiators, they were hardly in the same league as you."

"Then why continue to let me live amongst them, instead of promoting me sooner?"

"I had to make sure that you were the real deal. That the wins weren't a fluke. And the success in your matches didn't go to your head too much."

"That doesn't make any sense as to why you'd suddenly promote me to one of your champions. If you're really worried about success going to my head."

"I have decided to put my faith in you as a champion. You have brought in a lot of good press."

"And money in the betting pools?"

He shrugged. "What can I say, you are a surprise contender no one saw rising up in the arena. I'm willing to take my chances. If this success goes to your head, just try and hold off on losing for a bit longer."

"So you can save face with your high class citizens? Prove that you didn't promote a lemon."

He snapped his fingers before pointing at the human. "Ah, you get it. But I have all the faith that you won't lose so easily. I made you a champion for a reason. Work hard. Maybe you'll even be able to surpass the Hulk."

"I'm not that good, Grandmaster."

He laughed, leaving the young woman alone in her room once more. Anya tried on the armor first. It was a good fit. She wondered if the attendants had measured her body discreetly when they'd dress and attend to her injuries. Armored like this, the young woman appeared more intimidating than just being in the standard SH.I.E.L.D. uniform. The Aether came to the surface as if to observe the host's new appearance.

"What do you think?" Anya questioned. "There are plenty of nooks and crannies in this armor for you to hide yourself in without giving aways your movements."

The Aether began to alter its form to try out the new gear. It formed spikes along the shoulder, elbows, and knee plates. Latched onto the metal to further enforce its hold on the host. To pack more of a punch. Anya could feel its movements under the armor. Nearly undetectable to opponents as she stared at her reflection in the mirror.

"Satisfied?"

The dark matter made a noise in approval.

"Good. Because we're just getting started. The Grandmaster has big plans for us. And I've heard no news of an Asgardian in Sakaar. We also need to figure out how to get this thing off."

Book 4: Arcane [Thor]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें