Chapter Nine

Constance stood next to Mary at the top of the stairs. Mary looked resplendent, but for the first time, Constance almost felt like an equal. Their gowns were similar. Mary wore white instead of pink, but both the sheer over dresses had beading embroidered on the bodices. Mary was over a head taller with an ostrich feather in her hair, but she'd lent Constance her lady's maid, who had woven pearl beads through Constance's coiffure. She felt elegant in her long gloves and pearl necklace.

A nervous flutter rippled through Constance's stomach. Mary smiled at her and then they headed down the stairs toward the ballroom.

Constance had been to a public ball once, but this was so much lovelier. Soft candlelight reflected off the women's' jewels while music from the string quartet mingled with the smell of the large floral arrangements waltzing their own magic around the room.

Edward met them at the door.

"Cousin, sister," he said with a smile. Constance took his arm. "You both look lovely, but then I'm not surprised. Huntsman women are always luminous."

"Thank you," Constance said, overcome with awkwardness. "You've both been—" she didn't have the slightest idea how to tell them what their kindness meant to her. How it was changing her life.

"She looks beautiful, doesn't she?" Mary said, saving her. "Let's begin."

They entered the ballroom, making their rounds, greeting the guests who were already there. Constance was happy to stay at her cousins' sides, offering a warm smile or a friendly nod as Mary and Edward worked their charm.

As the greetings wore on, Constance looked at the couples and tried to imagine her mother and father here. Every head turned her way no matter where she was, her father had told them. Constance tried to picture her like Mary was now.

"You seem to be drawing quite a lot of attention, Constance," Edward said as they followed Mary to a group of guests who had just entered.

"Me?" Heat bloomed on her cheeks. "Mary, you mean, not I."

He laughed. "I mean you." He nodded his head toward the opposite side of the room, where Lord Connor stood watching her. "Poor old chap, I'm afraid he's never had much luck with the fairer sex."

Constance took a moment to study the Scotsman. She was certain Edward had to be wrong. Hugh stood taller than most of the other men, his hair slightly more curly and windswept, but it only added to his appeal. There was something rugged and powerful hidden beneath his fine jacket, his muscled legs visible in his kilt. She snapped open her fan. Were all balls so hot?

"Lord Baines, you're acquainted with our cousin Constance," Mary said, stopping in front of the gentleman.

"Yes, we met last night at dinner. You're both looking lovely," he said, kissing the back of Mary's hand. Her cheeks turned pink.

"It's quite forward of me," Mary said, looking up at Baines through her long lashes. "But would you join me in opening the dance?"

"It would be my honor," he said.

"Lovely," she said breathlessly. "Edward, Constance?"

"Indeed," Edward said. "Will you dance with me, cousin?"

"Of course," Constance said with a smile.

They took their places across from each other next to Mary and Baines. Other couples streamed onto the floor. The quartet was quiet for a moment as everyone got into two lines.

Then they struck up a lively tune for a lively dance. Constance was grateful that her mother had taught her all the country dances before her mind had deteriorated. Though it was rather better dancing with a partner that was more interested in it than Simon had been.