Chapter Thirty-Two

Constance hunkered down in the bath, trying to think past the unhelpful fear and anger. She had to get Simon and get out. She couldn't marry a man she both loathed and feared. Constance hugged her knees to her chest.

No matter what, you will keep Simon safe, she told herself firmly. Her heart was heavy inside her. What if marrying Baines was the only way to do that? Then you'll keep fighting. She buried her head in her knees. Once she was married, she'd have even fewer rights than she did now. And Baines was powerful.

"You'll keep fighting," she whispered. "And keep fighting until you get away." She took a shaking breath. "And you'll keep Simon safe. Keep London safe." What if she couldn't do both?

The door to her room opened. Does no one knock around here? She slid down in the water as if it might hide her.

"You can't be here," Mary said, on the other side of the privacy screen.

"She's the real deal, isn't she?" Edward said, the sound of him flopping down on the bed making Constance glad he couldn't see her behind the screen.

"Praise be," Mary said peevishly.

"You know, I could marry her," Edward said, as if he were talking about purchasing a new horse.

Anger coursed through Constance so strongly she was surprised the water didn't boil.

"Don't be foolish," Mary said.

"Why shouldn't I? She's my cousin, after all. Why shouldn't her gifts stay in our family?"

"You only want her because she belongs to someone else."

Constance dug her nails into her palms. She didn't belong to anyone! And did Edward not realize she was right behind this screen, or did he not care? She looked around, wondering if she could sneak out while they argued. There were no clothes, nothing to wrap around herself and she didn't particularly want to go sneaking through a castle naked looking for her brother. She supposed it made her a coward, but if Edward was on the bed, she'd never make it out the door without being seen, anyway.

"Why aren't you intrigued by my idea?" Edward asked as Mary moved around the room, slamming wardrobe and dresser drawers. "If I marry Constance, then William is all yours. That's what you want, isn't it?"

"I want what's best for the mission."

"He's had you wrapped around his finger since he comforted you after your failed rite." He laughed. "And I get it. He's got a solid plan, but we can still use Constance as his weapon if she's married to me."

"Get out," Mary hissed.

"Fine," he said. "But don't forget, I tried to do the right thing by you."

Constance thought about screaming. How was any of this right? Lands, they talked about her like she wasn't even a real person.

"The right thing to do is what's best for England. You ought to remember that, Brother. The title William promised you once he takes his rightful place. Don't be so foolish to throw that away over some poor relation."

Edward chuckled. Shame bit at Constance, though she knew Mary's words shouldn't hurt so much.

"I suppose you're right," Edward said, moving back to the door. "Don't worry sis, I'll find you someone rich to marry."

The door slammed shut, followed by a curse. Constance hadn't thought Mary capable of cursing.

Mary stomped to the bath. "Get out." She held out a linen towel.

Constance glared.

"I won't marry your brother, and I won't marry Baines."

"We don't have time for this."