Chapter Ten

Hugh, you are an ever loving fool. He stood just inside the tree line to the forest. His blood was pummeling through his veins, his atoms buzzing with raw power. Full moon was still a day away, he hadn't struggled this much on a non-full moon since he'd been newly turned.

"Get to know the young lady," he said under his breath. "Brilliant plan, Carlson." He untied his cravat and pulled his shirt over his head.

It had been a delightful dance, all things considered, but good heavens Miss Allen brought out the beast in him.

The night air caressed his bare skin. He didn't enjoy changing in places he wasn't familiar with, there was more risk of running into people. He didn't like changing at all. It felt like giving in, but if he didn't burn off some of this restless energy, everyone would be in danger. She would be in danger. She, the woman, who pushed back at him. So unlike the young ladies of the Ton, always averting their eyes and hiding behind their fans. His blood pumped harder.

He stripped out of his breeches, taking in great gulps of air. Her scent lingered on him. It smelled like early morning dew misting on wildflowers. His blood pulsed. He'd actually been holding it together, even with the nearness of her during the dance. Even when she'd seemed to understand him, causing his heart to ache with longing, the beast had been at bay. But then she'd looked into his eyes and the wolf had risen with no warning at all. The worst of it was she'd seen it. He knew she had. She'd looked into him and she'd known.

His pulse thudded in his ears. Few knew what he was. It was possible that Mary or Edward had told her, but he didn't think that was it. It wasn't as if his condition were illegal or even uncouth. England had accepted the supernatural set almost as soon as they'd broke with the Catholic Church. But unlike his father, it wasn't something he liked to brag about. He might not have had a choice with the entail on his inheritance. Carnsley had to be inherited by blood, yes, but also by gift, yet Hugh knew it for what it was, a curse that had stripped away his humanity leaving behind a monster.

His blood was on fire, ready to make the change. His head throbbed, rational thoughts became harder to hold on to. He took another deep breath and then he let go.

The wolf roared to life, his body reshaping, his muscles screaming and then the euphoric release as everything became instinct, his senses sharpening his cognitive mind fogging at the edges as he focused on that one thing.

Hunt.