Chapter Forty-Two

Hugh paced the floor in the drawing room. Having a vampire in the house filled him with restless energy.

"So he abducted Constance and the boy from your house?" Emile said, crossing one panted leg over the other. Hugh considered himself to be fairly forward thinking, but she was wearing breeches, for heaven's sake.

"Yes, I'm afraid I thought by staying away from Constance, I was protecting her." His voice caught. She must have been so afraid. Three days in a coach with a madman, no idea where he was taking them. He glanced at Constance. She was staring out the window, her brow furrowed.

"Even for someone with such clouded beliefs, it is exceptionally arrogant of him to make an attempt against a supernatural Lord. And then he had the audacity to come here?" She looked like she couldn't imagine someone being so stupid. Hugh knew Baines wasn't stupid, but he liked the vampire thought he was an idiot, anyway. "I am sorry that happened to you, mon scarlet poisoner."

Constance looked at her and gave a small smile. "I'm safe now."

"Yes," Carlson said, "but what of the rest of England?"

The vampire raised an eyebrow at the valet.

"I only mean that it is not one man acting alone. He has powerful and wealthy people backing his cause. Just because Constance is here with us doesn't mean he will not go forward with whatever nefarious plans he has in store."

"That is true," Emile said, before taking a sip of blood laced tea.

Carlson had seen to the preparations and Hugh wasn't sure what animal the blood had come from. He hid a grimace, even though he'd eaten enough raw meat as a wolf to feed an entire village.

"I was there when he had the prime minister murdered and that had nothing to do with Constance." The lady's accent was quite melodious. Hugh wondered if she could use it to entrance people. There were still traces of those kinds of abilities in the supernatural set.

"I have suggested," Carlson said with a measured look Hugh's way, "that my Lord needs to get involved."

"I did," Hugh growled. "I got Constance out and I reached out to Lady Emile." It was sort of true, Lady Emile—Miss Emile—he wasn't actually sure of her title, had been a contact of Carlson's. It had been Carlson's idea to write to her after the valet realized she had been the one to ferret Constance and Hannah to safety after the assassination. But Hugh had agreed even though it went against his better judgment to reach out to supernaturals in any form.

Carlson looked at him skeptically, though he didn't out his master, which spoke volumes of his years of dedicated service.

Perhaps Hugh had been wrong about the supernaturals, anyway. Emile had saved both his sister and Constance for no other reason, that he could see, then it was the right thing to do. Meanwhile, Baines, landed gentry with no supernatural blood, seemed hellbent on being a monster himself.

"I think we will have to go to the house of supernaturals with this information," Emile said.

Carlson was now looking at him with a most frustrating I-told-you-so look.

"Would you be willing to testify there?"

Hugh opened his mouth to answer and then realized the vampire hadn't addressed him.

"I," Constance bit her lip, fear and worry in her look. He felt it too, but not as much as he would have before. Carlson was doing a good job training her. "Yes," she said, squaring her shoulders. "But do you think they will believe me?"

"Why would they not?" Emile asked.

"It has been my experience that men with power rarely want to listen to someone of my," she paused, searching for the right word, "station."

"I believe you," Emile said. "And to me, they will listen."

Constance nodded, uncertainly.

"You don't have to," Hugh told her. "You don't have to do anything that makes you uncomfortable." He had refused his father's empty seat in the house of supernaturals so many times they'd stopped asking him. How could he advocate for a group of people he was ashamed to be part of? It seemed ironic that Constance would have to go before them when he would not. He didn't want Constance to go before them either, didn't want to see her name dragged through the mud, couldn't imagine her sitting in front of men in black robes and powdered wigs on display. He growled quietly.

"I want to do what's right," Constance said, answering his growl. She looked back at the vampire. "Simon won't have to, will he?"

"Non, he is a child still," Emile said. Carlson nodded his agreement.

"Will—" she took a deep breath. "Will he be there?"

"No, in fact, I think our plans should stay here in this room," Carlson said. "It would be most unwise to tip our hand. Who knows what he will do if he thinks anyone stands to oppose him? In this case, I think Lord Connor's refusal to join the government is going to benefit us."

Hugh bristled.

"It is not my fault your adversary thinks you are a solitary and isolated creature with no intentions of getting involved," Carlson said, nonplussed.

"I got involved."

"Yes, sir, but reluctantly."

"He didn't look reluctant to me," Constance said, with a small smile his way.

His heart thumped hard. Heavens, he loved her.

Wait—

His head spun. He did, he loved her, he'd felt it the moment he'd pulled her from the river, and he'd known it when she'd looked at him in London, her face so sincere. She was gazing at him, trying to puzzle out his feelings. He took a deep breath and then walked to where she sat, took her hand. "You won't be alone. I'll be with you every step of the way." He looked at the rest of them. "When?"

"Soon," Emile said. "As soon as they reconvene."

"Which is?" Hugh asked, ignoring the pointed look his valet was giving him.

"After the coming full moon," Carlson said. "In about a month."

Hugh sighed. He'd messed up. He just wasn't sure when or what he should have done differently. Was it all the way back when he'd refused his father's place in parliament, or when he'd insisted Hannah stay in London? Was it when he'd sent Constance to her instead of bringing her back here like the wolf wanted? Every decision he'd made, he'd thought he'd been doing the right thing, but now he wasn't sure. How was he ever supposed to know? The wolf felt like a curse, a blight hoisted on him by his cold and violent father, yet the beast had rescued Constance twice. It had gone to her and hadn't hurt her at all. Constance was fiercely fond of the wolf. He felt it when they trained together, and it was changing how he saw himself.

"Is that soon enough?" Constance asked.

"While we wait, I will begin making discreet inquiries back in London," Emile said. "When we go to them, we should have more than just a few names, anyway." She smiled at Constance and it took a concerted effort from Hugh not to move in front of her to protect her. Emile had very sharp-looking teeth. He would not like to be on her bad side. "They have gone unnoticed because of our ignorance, but we are ignorant no longer. Thanks to you, Constance, and I will make sure that your bravery counts for something."

"I can give you a list of some contacts," Carlson said.

"Oui, thank you. I will leave as soon as the sun sets." She leaned over and patted Constance's knee. "Do not worry mon ami, between Mr. Carlson and myself, there is no place these people can hide."

Constance smiled. "I just want it to be over."

"Soon," the vampire said with fervor. "Soon you will make them sorry they ever thought to snatch you."

Constance smiled at that.

Hugh met Emile's gaze. Thank you.

The vampire gave him a nod and then stood. Carlson followed suit, leading the way out of the drawing room. Constance was silent beside him. Lost in thought, he squeezed her hand, and she squeezed back, leaning her head on his arm.