Chapter Thirteen

Hugh knew he was cutting it close, but he and Edward had been playing a rousing game of cards, Edward throwing back drinks and entertaining him with hilarious stories.

"If I don't get back to my room, soon we are both going to regret it," Hugh said, getting up from the card table. As if to emphasize the truth, Carlson came in and stood by the door.

Edward swayed a little as he stood. "Psh, you're a puppy, Connor. Anyone can see it."

Carlson shadowed Hugh as they began toward the stairs. The valet only stayed this close on full moon nights, equipped with a couple of weapons designed to slow the wolf in Hugh down should the situation arise before they had him safely locked away.

"Let's hope you don't see how much havoc a puppy can wreak after all you've done to this place."

Once old enough, werewolves could shift at will. On a normal moon, it was easier to control the monster, even when the mind traded rational thought for the instincts and the drive of a predator. Hugh had been a werewolf, changed at his father's bite, long enough that it was safe for him to hunt on his own estate. He only seemed to kill wild game, and it helped that the people who lived and worked the land had lived with the ancient blood of Hugh's ancestors long enough to be careful once the sun was down.

On full moons, however, he had Carlson lock him up. Only a silver bullet could stop a werewolf once they changed on a full moon night. Even in London, there were special places where a werewolf could stay locked away from their families or gangs. It didn't matter how wealthy or poor you were, if they caught you in the city in wolf form on a full moon, you would be tried and punished if not outright killed. Hugh had never stayed in London on a full moon. A year ago an enterprising family had rented a "safe room" to a traveling salesman and when he'd changed, he'd broke through their poor excuse for a reinforced door and killed half the staff. In the end they had acquitted the man, the family's poor planning and shoddy work cited as the reason he had broken out, but he'd swallowed a silver bullet a few weeks later, anyway.

Hugh shivered. His valet raised a single brow.

"I know," Hugh said. "I'm just now feeling the pull."

Hugh put an arm around Edward to keep him upright. They began up the stairs, but with Edward's weight, they made slower progress than he'd have liked.

"Sir," Carlson said from behind him.

"If it gets worse, I'll just leave him," Hugh said. The fuzzy around the edges feeling only just beginning. Considering what had happened between him and Miss Allen earlier, he thought that was pretty good. Maybe he was getting better at controlling the beast.

"I'm glad we've come back to his old house," Edward hiccuped, motioning around him. "I miss London, but it's a great place."

"Quite a lot of silver in it," Hugh said.

Edward laughed. "The grandfather ascribed to the old ways."

"I know," Hugh said easily. The fact that Bunsall Abbey had been built to combat the supernatural set was the reason he felt safe staying here.

The wild pull pulsed through his chest. "Going to leave you here, mate," he said.

He let go, and Edward swayed precariously.

"Don't ever say I never gave you nothin nice," Edward said, patting Hugh's shoulder before he began listing down the hall.

Hugh and Carlson didn't wait to see if he made it to his room before hurrying the opposite way, turning the corner at a jog.

"Be sure and lock me in," Hugh said as they got to his door.

"Of course, sir."

Carlson had never once forgotten, but Hugh always reminded him, anyway.