Chapter Thirty-Nine

He'd barely finished putting the whistle back in his vest pocket when Constance finally recognized two of the three men. Fear came bearing down on her despite having learned how to throw a punch.

"It's him," she said, her mouth going dry. In actuality, it was both Baines and Edward. "Do I run?"

"I don't think you'd get far," he said calmly. "Can you feel Hugh? Try calling him back with your power."

She closed her eyes, but all she felt was afraid. "He's too far."

"Miss Allen, I will not let anything happen to you." She nodded, but she wasn't sure what an elderly valet could do.

"He has some nerve coming on to my master's estate," he said, as if he were talking about the weather.

I was supposed to be safe here. "I doubt my punching is good enough to get me out of this," she said out loud.

The three men came up the hill as if it were theirs.

"Can I help you, gentleman?" Carlson said, stepping in front of Constance.

"Good afternoon, sir," the stranger said. "I'm constable Obrien from Melrose, this is Lord Baines he's looking for his wife. Says Lord Connor carried her off."

Anger burned through her. "I am not his wife," Constance said, surprised at how firm her voice was.

"Come now darling, don't make a scene," Baines said soothingly.

"Sir," Constance said, looking at the constable. "They took me from London against my will. Lord Connor came to my rescue."

"Cousin don't spin tales like these," Edward said, disgusted.

Constance's face flamed, but she forced herself to keep talking. "I never gave my consent during the wedding mass and I signed nothing. I didn't even finish the sham ceremony when Lord Connor got there."

"If nothin's been signed—" the constable began.

"Constance, Mary, and I were there, along with countless others. We will all testify that the wedding proceeded as it should. Just because you got cold feet and let Lord Connor carry you off before we could have your signature, doesn't mean you didn't give your consent during the ceremony."

Her pulse thundered in her ears. Why was she surprised that her cousins would stoop this low? Lies spewed from him, but they sounded completely plausible coming from his mouth.

"I understand," Edward said, softening his tone. "You were nervous. That's only natural and maybe Lord Connor has you confused—"

"My master would never do such a thing," Carlson said, affronted.

"There are witnesses," the constable said uncomfortably.

"I believe Lord Connor thought he was helping," Baines said kindly. "But Constance, you are my wife. Come with us and we can all leave peacefully. No need to run the Lord's name through the mud."

She shook her head.

"Come with me and we won't need to dig up your brother." His words were laced with poison.

"I will not go with you," she said.

"I was afraid of this," Edward said with a sigh. He turned to the constable. "Madness runs in her family. Her mother is quite unwell. Constance probably believes what she's saying is true. Lord Connor wouldn't know she is out of her mind. All Lord Baines wants to do is care for his wife."

She wanted to scream at him, but she knew that would not help her case.

"Come along little lady, there's no need to make this difficult on everyone," the constable said, reaching for her.