Chapter Twenty-Six

Owen Banfield was standing by the fireplace, fidgeting with his cravat. His smile nearly split his face in two when he saw Hannah. She squealed and ran to him.

"How are you here?" She asked, throwing her arms around his neck.

He lifted her off her feet and spun her. "I come at your brother's behest," he said, setting her back down.

They stepped away from each other reluctantly.

"Owen, this is Miss Allen. Miss Allen, this is Owen Banfield, an old family friend and my brother's gamekeeper."

"Nice to meet you," he said with a nod, his curly hair bouncing.

The maid came in with tea. Hannah pulled him down beside her, and Constance sat in the chair across from them.

"How were the roads?" Hannah asked, her cheeks rosy.

Owen had a hold of her hand, so Constance poured the tea.

"They were fine. Better than they were in the old days, for sure. Your brother sends his regards." He nodded to two small packages on the tea table. He took them in his free hand, handing one to Hannah. "And for you, Miss Allen."

Constance's cheeks warmed as she took the package. Surely her influence could not reach so far, or last so long.

"Tell me of Carnsley," Hannah said.

"My sisters and the Campbells received your letters and send their love."

"Did they give you the one I included for you?"

Constance's ears pricked. Hugh didn't know about this romance. Though how on earth he could miss their obvious affection for each other was baffling? She snickered. She liked the idea of him being completely clueless.

"And your mother?" Hannah asked.

Their voices faded into the background as Constance carefully undid the string and brown paper. Inside was a box. She lifted the lid to reveal a sweet pewter sparrow. She smiled and picked up the letter he'd included.

Dearest Constance,

She tried not to read anything into the word "dearest" though she couldn't help but hear her name in his voice. It sent an ache through her.

I hope you are well and finding London to your liking. I think of you often—

She hadn't seen him in nearly a month and still he thought of her. She had not realized how strongly she felt for him until Emile had revealed what she was, and now that she knew his feelings for her might all be a lie, she could barely breathe. Please let it be real.

It brings me comfort knowing you are there giving my sister companionship. It can be very hard to be alone, and I want Hannah to be happy. I want you to be happy as well. How I wish things were different, that I was different. Despite that, know you have my unyielding friendship. Please stay safe.

Most sincerely,

Hugh

Her eyes burned. How would he feel, she wondered, if he knew what I really am? Bred to hunt his kind. How much of this letter is really him and not me?

She squeezed her hands while the urge to cry stabbed her heart. Something bit into her palm. She opened her fist, surprised to find the pin, a tiny drop of blood, scarlet against her skin.

"Why did Hugh send you?" Hannah asked.

Constance took a breath and then looked at the couple across from her.