Chapter Fifty-three

Hugh stood in the stone circle with Simon on one side and Father Kinney on the other, the sun warm overhead. Simon was still pale, but he was adjusting to his new life surprisingly well. Hugh had stayed with him through that first week, when the change was new and the shifting erratic. Simon had weathered it with surprising grace.

My brain already works differently, he'd told Hugh. In some ways, things make more sense now.

Hugh hoped it was true. He'd broken his promise to curse no one with his own fate. But he'd been helpless in the face of Constance's pain as it broke over him again and again. And maybe he wasn't the monster he'd always believed he was. Maybe being a werewolf wasn't actually a curse.

He took a shaking breath. Looked around the circle at Owen and his sister, their arms intertwined, Hannah radiating with such joy her scars were nearly invisible. Emile had come, sailing her ship to Baine's castle where she'd taken up partial residence. It surprised him at how much he liked the vampire. She gave him a saucy look, pulling on the brim of her hat. The Campbells were there too, and Owen's mother and sisters, along with Constance's grandmother. These were his people. They loved him and the wolf loved them fiercely.

He focused on the flower garlands wrapping around the ancient stone pillars trying to still his nerves. He couldn't help it. There was still a part of him that believed Constance would think better of it and disappear.

There was a murmur as she came into view.

Everything else fell away.

She had dressed in pink with a crown of flowers on her head and a bright smile on her face. Her mother led her up the path toward him, their arms linked.

He could barely believe they were all here.

He wondered distantly if Mary and Constance's relationship was salvageable. It was Mary who had left open the secret door that allowed Hugh access to Greyfield. He'd known it by her scent. He hoped there could be restoration between the two women, especially now that Edward had disappeared and disgraced their family. Still, he understood Constance's hesitancy. There were nights when she woke from nightmares of being chained to a bed.

The sun shone on Constance, illuminating the sprinkling of freckles on her nose.

She was looking at him with such light in her eyes, even if he hadn't been able to feel the love radiating off her, he would have known. His throat grew tight.

Beatrice kissed her daughter on the cheek and then nodded to Hugh. The older woman's eyes were bright and clear and the training had made the monthly visits from his beast less violent. Turned out if he let the wolf out once in a while, it wasn't so disagreeable.

Constance came up beside him. He took her hands and felt the wolf at attention, content and proud.

"Hugh, your vows," Father Kinney prompted for what Hugh realized must have been the second time.

Hugh cleared his throat. "Constance Anne Allen, I promise to stand by your side. To be a support when you need it and to love your family as my own. No matter how dark our days become, our love will be a light."

She reached up and brushed a tear off his cheek. What could he say? The wolf was as sentimental as it was fierce.

"Hugh Raymond Conner," she said, her face tipped up so she could look him in the eye. "I promise to love you no matter what shape you wear. I promise to share your burdens, and to love your people as my people. I will never turn on you and I will be a path back to your true self. No matter how dark our days become, our love will be a light."

"Aye," the priest said with a smile. "I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss your bride."

He cupped her face and kissed her, the wolf growling in pleasure and desire. But most of all, it was filled with love. He pulled back and rested his forehead against her's drinking it in. This was such a gift, something he had believed he would live all his days without.

Friends and family, their pack, surrounded them with kisses, hugs and well wishes. Mr. Carlson caught his eye and nodded.

"Come on, everyone, there's a feast waiting," Mrs. Banfield said.

They had set long tables up on the lawn, festooned with more flowers and loaded with food. It was with much celebration that their friends led them toward the feast. It was so loud that if it hadn't been for his wolf's hearing, he would have missed her soft whisper.

"I love you."

He took her hand and kissed her fingers.