Chapter Thirty-Four

Hugh didn't stop running as they burst up the steps to Carnsley. By then, rainwater was streaming out of Constance's hair and obscuring her vision.

The doors opened and Hugh skidded to a stop, his nails scrabbling for purchase on the parquet floor. Constance and Simon slid off his back in a sopping brother sister puddle.

"Are you alright?" She asked, holding Simon tighter than he'd ever allowed before.

A couple of tongues began licking their faces, a short corgi and a huge scruffy gold colored beast. Simon wriggled out of her embrace to better commune with the dogs.

"He's alright," she said to herself, laughing and crying at the same time. She couldn't help it. She was too tired, too hungry, and too relieved.

The great black wolf padded over and looked down at her with Hugh's golden eyes. Constance put her arm over her face so he couldn't see her cry. The big dog came back over and started nosing his way under her arm.

"Get off," Hugh's human voice said, pushing the dog away. "Constance, are you hurt?" His voice was so gentle it made her cry harder. "Where? Tell me," he said, moving her arm so he could better check her over. His hands moved gently over her face, looking for injuries, and then continued down her shoulders and arms.

"I'm alright," she managed, trying to look him in the eye, trying to ignore the feel of his hands as they moved over her body, checking for wounds.

He seemed reluctant to stop touching her.

"A robe, sir," someone said.

His hands left her as he shrugged into it and her face grew hot despite being soaked in freezing rain as she realized he'd changed to human form right there. His first thought had been for her and not for himself.

Her heart throbbed. She wanted his affections to be real so badly.

"Miss Allen," Owen said somewhere to her right. "I'm so relieved to see you. I'm so, so sorry."

"Hannah and Gran, my mom?"

"All worried about you, but safe."

All she could do was nod for fear of crying again.

"We should get the young lady into something dry," the voice who'd offered Hugh a robe said.

She squeaked in surprise as Hugh scooped her off the floor. She was having trouble breathing again, though it didn't seem to bother her as much. He was still staring at her, concern in his golden eyes, his brows scrunched together, his bare chest warm against her.

"I can walk," she said hoarsely, very much wishing she could stay in his arms.

He set her on her feet carefully. She wasn't nearly as steady as she'd thought she'd be and had to lean into him for a moment.

"I'm afraid your gown is ruined," the man said. He looked kind and efficient, with grey hair at his temples.

"Good," Constance said. "Let's burn it."

She felt Hugh's worry for her lessen slightly, and when she glanced at him, there was a small smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

"If you and your brother will come with me, we had some dry things set aside in the drawing room. We weren't sure you'd be able to get up the stairs."

"This is Mr. Butler," Hugh said with a nod. "Are you certain you can make it unassisted?"

She couldn't be certain the regret she felt shimmer over her was hers or Hugh's.

She nodded, trying not to think about what she was, or that she'd have to tell Hugh soon. She was so tired she couldn't face it right this moment.

"Once you've changed, we have a small supper set out for you three in the dining room."

Constance's head felt woozy at the mention of food.

"Good," Simon said, looking up from the dogs. "We haven't eaten since London."

"They told me you'd eaten," she said, anger flaring through her. Hugh growled. Owen and the butler took a step back. She forced herself to take a calming breath.

"Mary brought me some bread and cheese, but I didn't know where you were," he said, as if that explained things.

"Come on, you need to get into dry clothes too."

Simon stood reluctantly, his eyes on the dogs.

"Go on then," Hugh said to the canines. They trotted to Simon's side, tongues lolling out happily.

Gratitude surged through her heart.

"This way Miss," Mr. Butler said.