Chapter Fourteen - New

"How are you feeling?"

I sighed. "Like I challenged my alpha, and lost," I mumbled with a groan as I shifted on the bed.

Laian laughed, nodding his head. "Yeah, I bet. I've fought Erys before, your wolf is stupidly brave," he commented. The corner of my lip quirked up as he settled himself in the chair beside my bed.

"Is that his wolf's name?"

He nodded again. "Mine's name is Luka. What about yours?"

"Aetrix."

His eyebrow popped up. "That's a curious name for a female," he commented, his gaze questioning.

It was my turn to nod. "He's male, not sure why but that's our guess on why he's so difficult to control. He went on a killing spree after I shifted for the first time, so I never shifted again."

"Until you got here?"

"Yeah, pretty much. And now it's a problem because Xavier has barely been able to keep my wolf subdued even though he's still really weak. I'm scared," I admitted.

Laian offered me his hand. I carefully took it, feeling my heartbeat calm a little.

"To be fair, I highly doubt this is the strongest you've ever been. As your wolf gets stronger, so will you. It might be difficult, but I fully believe you're more than capable of controlling him."

It was a little thing, but it felt intimate to share. A nervous smile crept onto my lips as I realized I was starting to grow comfortable around other wolves; so far it was limited to Xavier's close circle but still.

"Is Xavier okay?" I asked.

He gave my hand a squeeze. "He's fine, your wolf did some damage, but he heals much quicker than you. The doctor still says you should be up and about in a day or two though."

"I hope so, I'm healing better than I used to."

He tilted his head and leaned closer. "Are you upset with Xavier? I just can't see why he wouldn't be here with you considering what happened with that alpha meeting."

"Not upset, just scared." I chewed on the inside of my cheek, my heart racing at just the memory of him fighting back. It was a very different side of him, but it was still directed at me. It wasn't like with Laian when I saw him fighting someone else from a distance; my alpha actually attacked me.

"Try to keep in mind that he was fighting your wolf, not you. He was still trying to protect you along with the rest of his pack," Laian reminded me.

I blew out a heavy sigh, nodding my head. I could feel myself staring but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't make myself focus again. The look in Xavier's eyes when his wolf took over kept replaying in my head. So did the growl that left his mouth when Aetrix refused to submit.

Laian leaned over, catching my attention and pulling me out of my thoughts. "I realize it was probably terrifying to see that side of him. He's still an alpha and a very powerful one at that, but if you keep your distance like this the fear won't subside."

I nodded but didn't respond. He told me the story of when he fought Xavier: it was a few years after they'd met and the young alpha was growing cocky after surpassing his peers in training. He was very strong and already powerful but Laian still had a few years of experience on him so it was a close fight. Supposedly it was a tie, but his tone suggested he ultimately lost to the young boy he used to protect.

"I never told Xavier he couldn't come," I finally said, my lip quirking up at the corner.

He sighed. "He knows he scared you."

"He pissed my wolf and I off too, that's what started it all."

He chuckled. "I figured as much. What did he do?"

My tongue poked at the inside of my cheek. "He tried to make my brother the next alpha of Black River, and then when they chose Derek to be the next alpha, he offered up the females in this pack to be his mate."

Laian was quiet for a moment as he searched my face. Then he tilted his head. "Is Derek the mate that rejected you? Thaddeus' son?"

"Yeah."

My eyes widened as he stood and leaned over me to press a kiss onto the top of my head. I froze, my heart pounding as he smoothed my hair down. "I'm sorry darling, I can promise he won't touch you though; Xavier would never let that happen," he said.

"I don't really want to watch him take someone either," I mumbled.

He chuckled, kissing my head once more before returning to the chair. "I don't think he will take someone from this pack, my dear. There are so few females, he may not even want to look. And you do not even have to be introduced to him."

I frowned. "Won't he be able to smell me? I'm unmated and I still smell like my old pack he'd recognize it instantly. I could be covered in perfume ten buildings over and he'd be able to find me."

Laian tilted his head from side to side. "Perhaps. There are other ways to cover your scent though."

"What do you mean?"

His lips curled into a slight smile as he leaned forward. "You're very smart my dear, I'm sure you already know how you can change your scent."

There aren't many: mate with someone, switch packs, or change rank. "I don't see any of those helping."

He sighed lightly, peering at me with what looked like sympathy. "This is going to sound terrible but I need you to keep open mind. Can you do that for me?" he asked.

I took a moment to think before nodding slowly.

"You can mark someone without fully mating with them."

"What," I breathed out. It wasn't a question, more of an expression of disbelief.

"Considering the pack you grew up in, I find it difficult to believe you are still that innocent. What do you not understand?"

I swallowed, my throat suddenly dry. "Are you really suggesting I find someone to mark me the way alphas mark omegas?"

He winced, scooting forward to rest his hand on the side of my face. "No darling, I am suggesting someone marks you the way alphas used to claim omegas, back when they understood their duty to protect them," he explained, a growl slipping into his words.

"Oh." I wasn't sure how different it was, but Laian made it sound much more pleasant. Either way, I had no doubt it was still extremely intimate.

"There is a problem still. I assume you'd be most comfortable with Xavier as you two have grown close, but Derek would be certain to deliberately choose the wolf that he claimed but wasn't mated to."

I mumbled an acknowledgement, feeling my heart pound as panic began to set in. The situation was starting to feel hopeless again. I asked Laian what I was supposed to do.

He sighed. "Well little wolf, how scared are you? At this point I see only two true options, hide out with the rogues and prisoners we have locked away, or find a male to mark you."

What do I do? I asked my wolf.

I am not letting you hide yourself with rogues and prisoners, he growled.

Wringing my hands together, I stared down at my lap. "Would you do it?"

He grabbed my chin and forced me to look him in the eye. There was a softness in his gaze, but his mouth was set in a tight line. "Are you asking me to claim you, little wolf?"

Heat crept up my neck; my face was on fire. "I don't feel comfortable asking anyone else," I admitted. I couldn't bring myself to admit I also felt very attracted to Xavier's childhood friend.

His thumb brushed over my bottom lip as he kissed my forehead. "Then until Derek is gone and you're safe again, you'll belong to me."