Chapter Twenty-Five

The woman was fucking insane. There couldn't have been a single decent bone in her body.

"Stop moving you little bitch," she spat and I winced at the sharp pain in my skull as she knocked me over the head again. The injection she gave me every few hours didn't make me dizzy anymore, just too weak to fight back.

I clenched my jaw, desperately trying to hold back my growl as I watched my brown curls pile up on the floor. "Why?" I grit out.

She chuckled. "You aren't really going to be able to shower in here so this way it's more hygienic. You'll thank me later."

I could feel bile rising in my throat as she continued removing my hair. A few minutes later and it was all gone.

As soon as she moved away I slid backwards until the collar tugged on my neck. I brought my knees up to my chest and curled up against the wall.

Samantha cleaned everything up then sat down on her chair, peering at me through narrowed eyes. The look on her face quickly made me realize it had nothing to do with hygiene. It was about humiliation.

"It's not even about the wolfsbane, is it?" I muttered.

She smirked. "You know Derek doesn't give you enough credit, you're actually quite smart—if you ignore all the stupid choices you've made in the past anyway," she remarked. "No, Derek doesn't care about the wolfsbane, he knows as well as I do that your blood will dilute it over time."

"You must be special to him if he lets you call him Derek," I mumbled.

She chuckled a little. "Definitely smarter than you look. Derek and I have been friends for a while. He trusts me more than most of his warriors. That's why he put you in my hands. He knows I can break you."

I swallowed hard. "Break me as in―"

"Break you as in make you compliant. Strip every bit of Roxanne away until you are nothing but an empty shell, then build you up again so that you obey every command you are given and believe everything you are told. You will be the perfect mate."

I squeezed my eyes shut, using all of my strength to hold the tears back. "What the fuck did I do to deserve this life?" I growled out.

"Oh don't be such a baby," she scoffed, rolling her eyes.

I grit my teeth and waited for her to leave. The lock clicked and I sighed, letting my head fall onto my knees. What are the chances Xavier will come and save me?

If he did he would be starting a war with Thayne, Aetrix said.

Do you think there's any chance he believes I'm worth starting a war over?

He remained silent and I sighed heavily. Yeah me neither, I muttered.

A shiver ran down my spine making me swear. The room seemed to grow colder with every passing minute, and all I had on was a pair of underwear and a sports bra.

The lock clicked and the door opened. I heard Samantha walk in and sit down in her desk chair. "Your friend made a full recovery."

I looked up. "What?"

"Your friend Ryland made a full recovery. Oh and your brother is officially blind with no chance of healing." She shrugged. "Just thought you might want to know."

"Thanks?" I muttered with a frown.

She scooted her chair closer, narrowing her eyes as she looked over me. "Are you cold?" she asked.

"No," I spat.

"Are you sure? You look pretty cold to me."

"I know what you're doing, and it's not going to work. I was tortured and tricked for months when I was just a child and I never broke no matter what they tried," I snapped.

She stood and moved closer, bending down so that her face was near mine. "That may be true but you seem to be forgetting a very small but very important fact," she crowed, a smirk crawling onto her lips, "you're not an alpha anymore."

"I still have alpha blood."

She raised an eyebrow at me. "Even a wolf with alpha blood still needs things like food, and warmth. Now I'm going to ask again, are you cold?"

I wanted to tell her no again but the chill had settled in my bones. My teeth chattered and my fingers and toes were turning blue.

"I thought so. Here, this will warm you up really quick," she said, pulling a syringe and a vial of clear liquid out of a locked drawer.

She filled the syringe halfway before moving towards me. I tried to move away but I was frozen. I didn't even feel a pinch when she stuck the needle into my inner elbow.

A few minutes passed and I could feel my extremities again. I closed my eyes with a small sigh as warmth spread through my body.

I gasped when the heat continued to grow.

"Feel better?" she sneered.

"Fuck you bitch," I growled out, wincing sharply.

She waved another syringe in front of my face, this one filled with a pale blue liquid. "This will make all the pain go away, are you sure you don't want it?"

I wasn't cold anymore, instead my insides felt like they were boiling and that my skin was going to melt. My eyes locked onto the syringe in her hand and it took everything I had to shake my head.

She sighed. "That's fine. I can wait. I'll come back in a few hours to see if you've changed your mind."

The lock clicked a few moments later and I clenched my jaw to keep from screaming. It hurt to breathe. It hurt to move. It even hurt to think.

This feels familiar, doesn't it? Aetrix murmured.

I frowned, trying to recall the memory. It suddenly hit me like a stone wall. "Oh my goddess," I whispered.

I laughed. Tears rolled down my cheeks and my stomach quickly started to ache. Aetrix I love you so much, I grinned, letting my head fall back against the wall.

The pain practically disappeared with my amusement. "Arrogant bitch," I growled to the empty room. Wolfsbane burns more than some stupid drug that messes with your head, I thought with a smirk.

Just make sure she doesn't realize that you're not in pain anymore, my wolf commented.

I felt elated as I stared at the door. She was so sure of that drug, she probably has nothing worse than that. The drug probably always made even the toughest wolves break, I realized.

Well you can't break something that's already broken, and you certainly can't fix something that's already perfect, Aetrix chuckled.

I think that describes us pretty well: broken and perfect, I smirked. I closed my eyes and lied down on the floor. I waited patiently for the door to unlock again, internally grinning at the sound of Samantha's approaching footsteps.

My face was screwed up in pain and I slowly peeled my eyes open when she crouched down in front of me, syringe in hand. "I can make the pain stop Roxanne, all you have to do is submit," she said in that awfully sweet voice.

"No," I spat.

"Fine," she spat and suddenly she was sticking a needle in my arm. I could feel the burning again, but it only lasted for a few seconds before fading just like before. I cried out anyway, clawing at the ground as I rolled onto my side.

"Come on Roxanne, I'm patient but I'd like to make this quick. Just submit and I'll give you the cure."

"Never!" I growled through gritted teeth.

She sighed, pursing her lips as she stood. "You'll submit eventually. Everyone does. In the meantime I'll just keep hurting you," she jeered.

I barely held back my smirk. Bring it on bitch.