Chapter Twenty-Eight

Thud.

I turned to the man beside me with a smirk and an outstretched hand. "I win."

He tried to walk away but the two warriors by my bed stopped him. "You owe the Beta a debt," one growled firmly.

The man scowled, rummaging in his pocket for a minute before dropping a gold coin in my palm. The engraved wolf head gleamed as I shifted the coin in the light.

"Thank you," I sang, dropping it into the cup on my bedside table.

He grumbled something incoherent under his breath as he trudged away, pushing past the warriors.

My gaze lifted to the man walking in, his eyes wide as he looked around. "What exactly is going on in here?" He asked.

"The pack doctors allowed me to move my bed out to the lobby so I could have visitors," I told him.

"I thought you wouldn't want anyone to see you like this?"

"I don't care anymore."

He grabbed the cup of coins on the table and shook it with a confused frown. "What are these?"

"Trading coins."

"What? How did you get so many?"

"Playing a game with dumb wolves," I murmured, snatching the cup from him. I nodded to the girl sitting at the foot of bed and she leapt up to yank my dagger from where it was buried in the wall.

She handed it to me then plopped herself at the end of my bed again. I tossed her a few of the coins and she scampered away with a toothy grin.

"So you were gambling for trading coins by throwing your knife into the wall?"

I jammed the blade hard into the table. "I was bored. What do you want Daniel?" I asked with a glare.

"I just wanted to see how you were doing," he said, shrugging his shoulders.

I pursed my lips. "You never stopped by when I was in here before."

He winced. "Xavier said you didn't want anyone to see you in that state. I would have come by but I didn't want to upset you."

I cocked up an eyebrow. "Did he send you here to check on me?"

His eyes went wide and he stumbled over his words. "I—uh, well no—"

"I'll take that as a yes," I muttered. I nodded to one of the warriors and he carefully helped me down from the bed. I kept a tight grip on his arm, breathing hard through gritted teeth. Every part of my body hurt and it took nearly all of my energy to simply stand.

"Look Roxie he just doesn't know what to do, I mean he's absolutely distraught abou—"

"Get out," I growled.

He stumbled back as one of the warriors stepped closer. "What?"

"If you're only going to talk about Xavier I'd like you to leave."

The pain in his voice almost broke my resolve. "I just want to help you. The doctors said you've been really struggling to deal with all of this and I was hoping Xavier would be able to—"

I whirled on him—almost falling if not for the warrior's hands steadying me. "Did you know?" I demanded.

His eyes flew wide and his jaw fell open. "Of course not! He didn't tell anyone!"