Chapter Eight

"What are you doing on my territory?" he asked, the same coldness in his voice as there was when he rejected me.

"I came here by mistake."

He raised an eyebrow at me and snorted. "You came here by mistake?"

"Yes, now can I just leave? Nobody wants me here," I growled. Pain shot through my side and shoulder but I ignored it.

"What makes you say that?" he asked, his eyes roaming my body. They swirled black with lust and I tried to ignore the fact that we were both naked. I managed to keep my eyes on his face but he clearly had no such intentions.

"You don't remember me, do you?" I asked in realization.

"I think I would remember someone like you," he chuckled.

"Of course you don't remember, I was always beaten or bruised before," I muttered.

"Roxanne?" he asked in realization.

"Surprised? Well I ran away for a reason so if you'll excuse me, I'll be going now," I muttered before shifting quickly.

I swerved around him and leapt over another wolf's head. He snarled and I caught a glimpse of a grey wolf chasing after me.

I pushed myself and managed to cross the border just before his teeth snapped around my tail. He let out an angry howl but stopped at the border.

Relief washed over me as the border moved out of sight. I slowed my breathing and closed my eyes, calming myself down.

I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my back and collapsed onto the ground. I tried to breathe but no air would come. Agony pulsed through my body and everything turned blurry.

Xavier, just inside the eastern border, I gasped.

I'm coming, he replied before ending the mindlink. Black spots flooded my vision as another wave of agony rolled over me.

I spotted a familiar black wolf just before everything went dark.

***

I slowly peeled my eyes open and squinted at the bright light that flooded my vision. I realized I was in the infirmary, lying on a bed covered in paper.

I looked over to see Xavier sitting in a chair beside the bed. His elbows were resting on his knees and his face was buried in his hands.

I went to speak but pain shot through my chest. I clenched my jaw, squeezing my eyes shut tightly.

When the pain subsided I opened my eyes again to see Xavier looking at me worriedly. He stood up, resting a hand on my arm.

"Rox, are you okay?" he asked softly.

I nodded a little. It hurts to talkand to breathe, I told him through the mindlink.

"You were shot with two arrows, one of them punctured your lung. You also have a few broken ribs and severe internal bleeding," he said and I pursed my lips.

Of course I do, I muttered in annoyance.

"What were you doing? You smelled like Black River pack," he said, giving me a look that dared me to lie to him.

I looked away from him shamefully and sighed. The small movement made my chest hurt and I winced.

I lost control of Aetrix, I admitted.

Xavier roughly ran a hand through his hair. "I thought we discussed this. You told me you had everything under control, that he wouldn't be able to take over anymore. That's why I let you become the beta female," he growled and tears ran down my cheeks.