Chapter Twenty-One

"Do you think it's possible?"

"Probably, I still don't understand why though?"

I sighed. "I've already explained it like six times Ryland, now seriously can you get it or not?"

He frowned, staring at the ground for a moment before nodding. "Yeah, I'll see what I can do," he muttered.

"Thank you, how's your head?" I asked quietly.

"It's fine, you didn't hurt me that bad. It only took me a few hours to fully heal," he shrugged, giving me a small smile.

I didn't return it. I waited for him to leave before throwing the blanket off of my body. Aetrix?

I was met with silence. I growled again in frustration. Why the fuck do you disappear at the worst times? I snarled.

I took a deep breath and slowly slid my legs until they hung off the bed. My back ached and protested with every movement but I grit my teeth against it.

My legs shook as I stood up. I breathed deeply and carefully made my way into the bathroom, using the wall for support. My head pounded and spots filled the corners of my vision.

I closed my eyes, gripping the edge of the counter until my palms throbbed. The pounding worsened and my hands slipped. I collapsed onto the tile floor with a cry. Every part of my body screamed in agony.

I could feel tears running down my cheeks. I tried to stand again but pain shot through my spine and I gasped, my body going completely limp. My head connected with the tile and it all went black.

***

"Roxie? Open your eyes damn it!"

I let out a groan, my eyelids fluttering open. I blinked a few times until the light dimmed and Ryland's face came into focus.

I tasted blood in my mouth and my tongue swept across a split in my lip. The side of my face was puffy and I could feel a thick pressure in my temple.

"Hey there Roxie, what the hell did you do?" Ryland muttered, peering at me closely, his eyebrows knit together and his lips set in a thin frown.

"Did you get it?" I rasped.

He nodded, showing me a glass vial and empty syringe. "Are you sure this'll work?"

"Yeah, it hurts like hell but it'll do the trick."

"Okay," he sighed, "how much?"

"A full syringe," I said.

His eyes widened. "Are you sure? I mean that's a lot, don't you want to start with less?"

"Ryland I'll need a full one at the least, I might need even more depending on how fucked up my body is," I murmured.

He shook his head, staring at me for a moment before finally sighing and filling the syringe with the liquid from the vial. "Okay where am I injecting this? In your back?"

"No it just needs to get into my blood so just do it in my arm."

He shifted a little and I realized he was sitting on the bathroom floor, my head in his lap. He grabbed my wrist and put a firm pressure on my arm until the veins were more visible. He stuck the needle into the inside of my elbow and I made a face at the sting.

He looked at me again, pain in his eyes. "Are you absolutely sure? I mean you're literally asking me to inject wolfsbane into your blood, aren't you worried it will kill you?"

"No. I've done it before. It took nearly a dozen injections in my ribcage to get the silver out of my body, and they were excruciatingly painful, but they didn't kill me. So please just do it, I don't want to be stuck in here like a helpless pup," I pleaded.