Magic

Dusk curled on the stony pathway, hissing in annoyance at Snow.

"Come on! We have to train!" Snow growled, shredding fall leaves with her claws. Dusk stood up and shook her pelt.

"But it's not even time for classes yet..."

"Practice makes perfect." Dusk gagged at hearing those words, remembering how her mother used those words to teach her how to swim. Dusk glanced up and saw Snow sticking her wand in Dusk's face. Dusk sneezed at the smoky aroma. "Watch me cast a fire spell. Don't even try to copy the sheer power." Snow wrapped her tail around her paws. A wave of fire appeared at the tip of her wand, quickly growing in size and then lashing out like a tail into the sky. Ash tumbled down the stick, brushing Dusk's paws as it hit the ground. "You try it. Of course, it'll be much weaker than mine, but you have potential." Snow bragged. Dusk picked up the wand she had received from the dean and swiped it in Snow's motion. A ring of scorching flames emerged from the tip and spread into the sky. Snow watched in awe.

"That was almost as good as mine... How on earth are you that good? My first flame was lighting a match!" Snow barked. Her eyes shined, waiting for Dusk to speak. Dusk was surprised at her power and fumbled for words.

"I just copied your paw movements... I didn't know that it was that hard to cast spells." Dusk whispered, feeling uncertain and weak. Snow analyzed her wand and was astounded when she found the rod wasn't burnt. She stroked the wood for flaws but couldn't find anything.

"I think you should try a water spell." She purred. "Hold on, my previous flame will overpower the water." Snow ran off a shortly returned with a different stick. She lifted her wand, turning to make sure Dusk was watching, and then in one quick motion, swiped her wand down and let out a ray of water that spat out at the bark of a tree and then fell in a brief downpour. Snow gave Dusk a challenging glimpse. "Do better," Snow murmured. Dusk copied her paw movements again, releasing a heavy vapor over Snow and scattering droplets over everything nearby. Snow's pelt dripped, and she gave a doubtful skim at Dusk.

"I swear I didn't know I could do that," Dusk promised. Snow shook her fluff fiercely onto Dusk and inspected her wand again.

"How on earth are you better than an experienced student? I can't even make myself a bath, and you're over here causing rainstorms!" Snow gasped. Dusk gave her chest fur a few embarrassed licks. I hope we don't become enemies. We're terrific friends right now... Dusk smiled at the fuming she-cat, her front fangs showing. "Do it again!" She shrieked. Dusk repeated her spell, soaking Snow again as well as herself. Dusk puffed up her furry coat, enjoying her damp fur.

"Who's bragging now?" Dusk chuckled, nosing Snow playfully.

"You're a tricky cat, that's for sure. I wonder why you're so inherently able to cast powerful spells." She meowed. "I'll teach you one advanced spell, and then we will be out of time." Dusk's eyes lit up. Snow made a motion in the shape of a triangle without a bottom, and a streak of green fog followed the wand. Dusk sniffed and realized it was poison gas, drawing back to get fresh air. "I'm scared to see how much poison you'll release into the air." Snow uttered. Dusk, determined to prove Snow right, drew a triangle in the air, and a creek of fog spit into the atmosphere, making Snow jump back a few long leaps. Snow hacked in the murk and cleared it out with her flailing paws. "Let's go inside." She coughed.