Encounter

Dusk carried her book across the hall, excited to see what the past held. Dusk went to the library to check out a book, but she wandered into a closet with retired books. While searching for something extraordinary, she found a cat named Rose's diary. It was buzzing with spells from the first years of the academy. Rose must have left her book in the library more than a century ago because it was showered in dust, and the pages were frail. Dusk pushed open the door to the classroom she and the other new students were allowed to hang out in and settled on her desk. She itched excitedly as she carefully rested her claws under the first page and pried it open. She rested her paw on her head and the other paw on the table, turning each page until she came to something interesting:

December 28th, 1997

Sadly, today we couldn't find a way out. The sewer was dark and hard to move through. We lost Fang; he was so mad at me that he went to find his way out. This is all my fault. What is the point of writing in my diary if I never see daylight again? If I hadn't gotten stuck, we wouldn't be here. I miss Sapphire. She must have lost hope that she'd find me. Wait, I see a tunnel with a small light! I'll write again when I know what's at the end.

Good news! At the end of the tunnel, I found someone searching for me. I didn't know them, but they said their name was Ghost. They told me now was the time, but I didn't understand. It was dusk when we got out. I hope Fang is ok.

The writing was signed by Rose, unlike the other pieces. Dusk flicked her ears curiously. She felt something beneath her shake. Then she heard a rip. Dusk looked down and saw she had ripped the page. Dusk wanted to yowl in anger but didn't want to disturb her friends. She then noticed that the book had a shadow. Is this book floating? She thought. The book was high in the air by now, and Dusk narrowed her eyes. Suddenly, the book slammed shut. Dusk cowered underneath the desk and looked up. A huge ghost was staring down at her. This is a dream! It's got to be a dream! Dusk prayed. No one, even with magic, could defeat a ghost. They had unmatchable power and could make quick movements. One alone was a terrible match; you'd join them in a few heartbeats. This ghost was giant; most were small. It had white fur, maybe skin, and angry hazel eyes. Dusk could see its joyful half smile-half smirk as its eyes scanned the classroom. It finally lay its eyes on Dusk, anger sparkling in its gaze. What did I do? She asked herself. The ghost didn't give her the satisfaction of words, instead whistling. Confused, Dusk sank further underneath her desk. A herd of ghosts came running in, covering the classroom with white flanks. Dusk's book dropped for a moment, and she held it close. She couldn't see anything from the crowd, but the colossal ghost tried to take the book away. Dusk dug her claws into it and wailed like a lost kitten as she fought to keep her book. But the ghost was too strong, pulling the book out of her paws and fleeing with the crowd. When they cleared, Dusk glanced behind her. No one was there, the window was cracked, and the lamps were plastered to the floor. Moonlight reflected onto the ground and Dusk's tabby fur.

"Please come back! Everyone told me I'm dreaming!" She cried, her voice echoing. She heard nothing but her voice. "I've lost everything... Snow, my friends, this school." Rain poured as her words froze when they tried to travel. The wind softly blew. A page landed in front of her. Dusk picked it up and read the page number. It was the last one.

March 28th, 1998

I've seen it! In the moon! It looked like a cat's face, but with two bright scars under its eyes! It was the Mark of the Moon! I'm sorry I have to go, but remember me if you read this. Remember this sign, and if you see a cat who looks like this, it will save us all! Sapphire saw it too!

"She's describing me!" Dusk gasped. "I'll save us all! I'll save us from the ghosts!" She pulled her wand out of her pocket and lifted it so that starlight glimmered on the tip. "This whole time, I was special! The other students knew it was me! I was more powerful! I had the two markings!" Dusk yelled, her words coming out in floods. She could barely process everything she knew. Dusk felt more surprise gather around her when she realized it was March 28th. Dusk felt power coarse through her veins and strike her heart. Her black fur stood like an eclipse, and her ginger markings glowed brightly as she stared at the first full moon of spring. Dusk flew out the door, the truth carrying her with each leap. I'll start at the library and make my way to the huge ghost. I won't let this school go that easily!