Nap

Dusk was sleeping. She had managed to fall into the bane of sleep as she let the soft pitter-patter of the rain rouse her. Heart didn't rest. She disappeared, not telling Dusk where she'd be going. Dusk started to dream. She was running along a lake, gray and black basalt rocks dappling the edges. She heard birds chatting with each other. She could feel the fish darting through the waters and ravens soaring across the sky. Dusk felt at peace for once. Everyone seemed ancient.

"You seem happy here." Dusk turned at the voice. It was a spirit. She didn't recognize them; she had gray fluff and kind eyes.

"Who are you?" Dusk meowed.

"Shade. My greatest student, Stripes, is searching for me. Have you seen her?" Horror sweeper over Dusk as she became aware that Shade was talking to her, the former academy owner and the cat who Stripes had looked for.

"I'm so sorry... She was ambushed by ghosts. They broke her leg, then finished her off in front of me." Dusk stammered. She closed her eyes to stop tears from forming, telling herself that she could have done something. Shade did not attempt to speak. 

"Do not cry. Stripes was destined to die, and so was I." Shade comforted Dusk after a heartbeat. Dusk was fed up with fate and destiny. She couldn't believe them. It was her fault the academy got attacked. It was her fault Stripes got slaughtered. Dusk made an effort not to sob, but she started bawling as soon as she thought more. Dusk could feel tears running down her face as she tried to stop her grief. Her yowling got louder until Shade screamed over her. "Dusk! Why are you crying? Are you a kitten? Did I not just tell you that she died because of destiny?" Shade growled. Dusk hung her head low.

"Oh, Dusk. You've always been a worrier." Dusk turned to the new voice. It was a calico cat. Dusk noticed that it was glowing blue, proposing it was also a spirit. "My name is Moonlight. I have been watching your progress." Dusk admired her intimidating amber eyes and her muscular build. But just as quickly as she had appeared, she was gone.

"Wake up, Dusk!" Dusk was back lying on the floor of the academy's library, moonlight drafting in from the windows. The rain was easing now, but Dusk knew it wouldn't stop. Dusk's fur was sticking up, and it was dry and dusty. She stood up and let the towel fall from her back. Heart was back from her errands.

"Where did you go?"

"I went to spy on Kiki."

"Who is Kiki?"

"She is leading an attack behind Hollow. Kiki always gives away his secrets when he thinks no one is around. I heard him mention the time, the place, and the layout before he caught me!" Dusk pricked her ears in surprise. Dusk imagined ghosts trotting through the sopping lands, discussing the way they'd attack. Dusk leaped to her paws and licked her fur down. She smiled at Heart as a sign she was ready, but truly Dusk wanted to go back to sleep if it meant hearing more about Moonlight. Something about the calico she-cat was intriguing to her. "Hello? We have an ambush to deal with!"

"Right." Dusk gave a curt nod, padding after Heart as she started toward the door. "By the way, have you seen a cat named Moonlight?"

"Moonlight has a head full of fluff. So much fluff that she doesn't even have a brain. She has one more life, and she forgot!" Heart sneered.

"How do you know?"

"When we had a battle over land, she was in it. She didn't glow as brightly as the other newer spirits." Heart explained.

"But why wouldn't she go on to her next life?"

Heart looked a little annoyed. "Because she has a brain the size of a beetle!"

"Other spirits-" Dusk began, but Heart cut her off.

"The spirits are hiding it from her for some weird reason! They say, "When it's time for change, we'll tell her." Don't expect me to know! I'm not a spirit!" She hissed.