Run

Dusk was falling. Mist and wind battered her face. She flailed her paws helplessly. Suddenly she stopped. She was no longer falling. Did I make it? Dusk thought, feeling cheerful. She suddenly saw the great rock that was in the spirits camp. I didn't make it! Dusk sighed. Dusk collapsed suddenly as the wind was knocked out of her. She gasped for breath helplessly. A swarm of cats emerged from the trees and surrounded Dusk.

"What's happening?"

"Will she be ok?"

"She took quite a fall."

"Get out of my way!" A voice boomed over the questions. Dusk heaved, trying to swallow in the air. A scarlet cat padded up to her and pressed its paws against Dusk's throat. Dusk was barely hanging on now; her lungs felt hollow. The cat pushed Dusk's throat back, her starry paws stroking Dusk's larynx. Dusk drank it in when air flooded her mouth. She gulped down the air until her lungs were full and then released a coughing spasm.

"Dapple! You're a hero!"

"Dapple! Dapple! Dapple!" The cheers for the heroic spotted cat, Dapple, rose above the song of jackdaws and echoed through the trees. The old cat bristled. Dusk wanted to hear more, but she woke up.

"You're breathing again. Thank god!" Heart's relieved sigh reminded her of what had happened. They both jumped out a window, but Dusk hit the ground so hard she couldn't breathe and was dragged into the spirit's home. "You panicked mid-air and fainted." Dusk stumbled to her feet. The rain and quick now, and it was even harder not to fall over. She heard a creak.

"Heart, did you hear that?" Dusk asked. Heart glanced up at the towering oak behind them.

"The rain seems to be weakening the roots-" Heart stopped abruptly as the tree started shaking.

"Run!" Dusk screamed. The tree had broken free from its roots and was falling into the academy. Heart paced, not attempting to flee. Instead, Dusk nudged her in the side. I have to play hero this time! "Follow me!" Heart hurried to her side, and they dashed down a path. Dusk's heart was pounding so fast she thought Heart could hear it. Dusk halted at the fence and crouched down. I'll have to dig! Dusk raked her claws along the mud and threw it into the air. Clumps of wet dirt battered Dusk on the ears as the rain forced it down when it flew up. A wave of relief washed over her when she saw her paw on the other side. Dusk squeezed through the gap and glanced back at Heart. Where is she? Dusk thought, terror clouding her mind. Dusk shrieked as the tree's long branches bore down on her. The enormous slam hit the fence, and Dusk was flung into the damp grass. Dusk licked the scratches on her side that the tree had left. Dusk wanted to use her wand to heal herself, but she couldn't locate it. "My wand!" Dusk gasped. "Now I have to go back!" Dusk picked her way between branches, aware of the risk of splinters. While one path can't be walked, another one can. Following danger will lead you to something greater than victory—Moonlight's words recited in her head. Danger is not a choice. Dusk stopped moving.

"I have to get my wand. And I'm in danger of doing so. I don't have a choice." Dusk shivered at the thought. She could barely stand on her paws. Instinctively, Dusk ducked under the roots of the gnarled tree and curled up. She couldn't move anymore; her legs were too frail. Dusk yawned and placed her head on her paws. Her eyes were already halfway closed, so it was easy to shut them.

"Sleepy, eh?" Dusk shuddered at the sharp, sudden voice. She opened her eyes cautiously. An auburn tom stood over her, his eyes glowing the color of dandelions. Dusk stood up and backed away, frightened. "Don't worry. Walk with me. Let's find your wand." His appearance was threatening, but his calming tone soothed Dusk. Dusk felt his breath on her shoulders and cherished it, and smelling his smoky breath pacified her. Dusk was immediately drawn in to follow. His tail tip was limp on her nose, and Dusk was careful not to let it fall. She could hear his steady breathing and paw steps, which comforted her through the dark tree branches. Dusk's mind finally roused itself into reality. What am I doing? This is a spirit, and I'm... Dusk realized the amount of warmth in her heart was soaring. In love!  "Endure the most painful wounds of your life. They hide not betrayal, but pride and bravery behind them." Dusk was surprised at his strange words. Dusk realized what she had to say before it was too late.

"I have to tell you something before my ancestors hate me." Dusk stammered.

"Everyone loved me at first sight. But your wand is just beyond those curled branches," he pointed to the branches forming an entrance with his ears. His tail trailed lifelessly on the ground. "So I'll be going. But you'll see me again. Not as friends, though..." He padded away without giving Dusk a chance to say goodbye. Dusk bowed her head and then hopped through the branch arch. She picked up her wand.

"I won't forget you." She whispered to him as if he was still there.