𝓐 𝓫𝓪𝓽𝓽𝓵𝓮 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓽 𝓫𝓪𝓵𝓪𝓷𝓬𝓮

///AN I don't own these characters they belong to Rick Riordan I only own the basic plot line though some parts of my story are inspired from Rick Riordan's books///

Annabeth's POV
(During the battle with Gaea)

My heart pounds as I scan the battlefield, the sounds of thunderous clashes and deafening roars of monsters fill my ears.

Lightning cracks close by and brings my eyes to Jason first. He's on the ground, only ten feet away from me, sobbing over a body. I don't look to see who it is. I barely have the courage to continue as is.

So I turn, looking for Percy, but I instead find Hazel to my left stuck in combat back to back with Frank who is in bear form. They are surrounded with thirty different types of monsters and giants, each worse than the last. They're ruthless but I know they can't fight much longer. I hear a pained cry far behind me and know it's Leo. But I can't get to him and I don't have time before I'm overwhelmed.

I frantically search for Percy and I finally spot him thirty feet away covered in blood and monster gore, with one hand on Riptide and the other holding a gushing wound across his face. Seeing the love of my life, the most powerful demigod of this age, at the brink of death is like a splash of cold water, bringing me into reality. And I realize that there's only one end to this fight. Death. A sacrifice. Someone needs to sneak their way or fight their way to Gaea and set off something that can weaken her enough so she can be beat.

I planned for something like this, I mean, I plan for most things but this was a last resort. A sort of firebomb made by Leo, with no countdown. I convinced him it was just a last resort plan that didn't end in anyone's death. The second part was a lie.

Our original plan was for the gods to show up and help us defeat the giants. But they didn't show. Nobody knows why. I wasn't planning on the firebomb ever being used, but here I am watching my friends battle around me for the last time. I turn back to Percy one last time and he makes eye contact.

There must be something in my eyes that betrays what I plan to do. Because his watery green eyes light up in terror and he shakes his head and yells something I can't hear.

I turn and run towards Gaea. But Percy is faster than me and reaches her first. He pummels her with all his strength, using powers I've never seen him use before. Whirlpools of boiling water surround Gaea,  monsters around her drop to the ground, suffocating by floating pools of sizzling water.

I run around it all and behind Gaea while they're distracted.
That's one thing about being a girl demigod with no flashy powers. I'm easily overlooked. So while Percy gives Gaea hell in his attempt to stop me from sacrificing myself I wait in agony behind the action. I stab a few low level monsters until Gaea launches Percy, just like I'd predicted she would, far back by jutting the earth up beneath his feet. She has been doing that to anyone who gets close.

Percy has done wonderfully weakening and distracting Gaea. She doesn't even sense me behind her, doesn't realize she is about to meet her doom. Behind Gaea I take the firebomb out of its pouch. Far away, Percy is struggling to his feet.

He finally sees me. He sees what I am holding. He calls out to me with the most horrific, agony filled scream I've ever heard in my life. The ground around him cracks in tendrils of unforgiving black. I see his tears as he struggles to stand.

Even though I know I'm about to die, nothing could hurt more than causing him that much pain. With tears in my eyes I mouth the words, "I love you." One last time.
I pull the pin.
The world turns red then black.

End of chapter one

//AN//it's been a loooong time since I've read blood of Olympus so forgive any (accidental) story inconsistencies lol thanks for reading the first chapter of Percy Jackson: gods' bane! I update often and really appreciate comments and reactions. :)///