𝙃𝙤𝙬 𝙙𝙤 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙝𝙞𝙙𝙚 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙜𝙤𝙙𝙨?

(Percy's POV)

Its been months. Months of ignored calls. Months of laying in bed. Months of pretending like everything is fine. Months of redirecting conversation. But this is a conversation I can't redirect again.  

    "Percy, please. Chiron's here."
From outside of my room my mom continues to plead.

"It's been months sweetheart, he's been patient but he needs to talk with you now. Please come out."

I groan quietly. I don't want to deal with this. I know exactly why Chiron is here and I'm not ready for it. In a last attempt at avoiding the conversation I grumble out, "I think I'm sick. Tell Chiron to come back later!"

I hear my mom sigh and mumble something to Chiron. With all the motherly frustration in the world, she says, "Percy..."

Her tone is enough to get me begrudgingly pushing my covers off myself and turning on the lamp next to my bed. I might as well be looking directly into the sun with how much the light hurts.

I groan again. I really do feel sick. But that's nothing new, I guess. I've felt sick since... well...I shake my head to erase the dangerous train of thought; treating my brain like one of those old etch-a-sketches.

I let my mom know I'm coming and that I just need a minute. As I stumble to my bathroom I try to guess what time it is. It feels pretty late for guests. Around one am, I decide.

In the bathroom I pick a wrinkled, okay-smelling, shirt off the tiles and slip it on. I go to wash my face but decide against it when I accidentally make eye contact with myself in the mirror and quickly look away. I realize I'm not ready to be so close to my own reflection. In a rush I stagger out of the bathroom and shut the door behind me.

I go to leave my room but when I notice I'm gasping for air I sit down on my bed for a moment to catch my breath. Yep. The great Perseus Jackson on the verge of passing out from a five step trip to the bathroom. Seems about right.

Once my breathing and nerves have settled I apprehensively open the room door. My mom sees me first and smiles stiffly. "Here he is Chiron. ―Come have a seat Perc, I just made cookies." 

I'm not one for turning down cookies no matter the situation so I walk over as Chiron turns in his wheelchair to face me. When he sees me the closest thing to fear I've ever seen flashes across his face before he swiftly covers it up with a not fully convincing studious stare.

I plop down at the table and grab a cookie. I'm used to the looks by now but seeing it from Chiron admittedly stings a little more than usual.

Suddenly the smell of the cookie isn't the sweet smell of comfort but instead the foul smell of ambrosia that can't heal all wounds. I gently set the cookie back on the plate when my mom isn't looking.

I'm looking out of the window where it looks more like one in the afternoon then my guess of one in the morning when Chiron breaks the awkward silence by clearing his throat and saying, "Well Percy, you must know my reasons for this visit."

I nod, avoiding eye contact.
He continues, "The gods have been demanding your presence since the battle, and I'm afraid they grow impatient. You must go to Olympus.

"If it were in my power I would let you live quietly with your family. However, the gods are not to be ignored. I'm sure they have the best intentions Percy, and your disregard of their requests is becoming a hazard to you and your family. It's time you pay them a visit. It's immature to ignore them as you have, as much as I understand your reasons."

He says the words gently, sympathetically. But they feel like poison in my ears. I slam my fist on the table and, an inch away from yelling growl out, "You seriously expect me to visit them after what they did?" -My voice is steadily raising now-  "The more I hear you praise the gods the more I doubt you ever really cared about Annabeth at all!"

My mom gasps.

Embarrassed, I slump back in my chair and try to calm myself. I choke out, "After what they did? You too Chiron? You know what they did and you still expect me to go see them?? To act like I'm okay with them?― To act like I don't want to kill - them - all?"

I whisper it so I don't cry it or shout it, but it sounds much scarier then either once the words have tumbled out threateningly. 

Chiron straightens in his wheelchair and looks up. "Be careful, Percy." Is all he says.
I choke out a harsh laugh. "Careful? Careful like they said they were being when they abandoned us? When they abandoned HER?"

I shove my chair back and stand up. "I'm not going." Once I'm across the apartment and at my room's door I hear Chiron's quiet voice.

"The gods aren't your enemies Lu- Percy."

When I slam my door, I know I'm shutting out more than just Chiron.

End of chapter two