Heating

It'd been really cold recently and the wind only made it worse. Punxsutawney Dipster said that there'd be 2 months more of winter, and they were clearly right. They all shivered while huddling together in a blanket. The portal distorted and Wyre suddenly entered the lab. His suit looked slightly less formal since the last time he'd seen him. He seemed tired, but he definitely was happy.
     "H-Hey Wy, how have you b-been?" Clay squeezed the Wublins tighter.
     "I've been good, date went well, you know, managed to not mess up too badly this time." Wyre starts to take off his black tie.
     "That's good, co-could you maybe toss together a drink? It's really cold out and I'm stuck here so..."
     Wyre pulled the sleeves of his sweater. "I don't know..." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "I'm not really a good cook... last time I did set fire to the pan...  and you didn't give me the cooking lesson like you promised."
     Clay lowered his eyelids just a bit. "You can't really mess up a cup of hot chocolate if the instructions are right in front of you. Plus, I really can't move." Clay pointed his head towards the Wublins lying snugly on him. "Look, there should be some instant hot choco in the bag." Clay tilted his head towards the backpack.
     "Fine then." Wyre searched through the bag, picked up a box of Swas Maws and started to tear open the box. Packets of chocolate powder fell on the floor.
     "Sooo, where'd you guys go?" Clay tried to make small talk to fill the void.
     "It was like this fancy restaurant called "Boodini" or something like that. Food was pretty good, but a bit overpriced" Wyre shook his head while he waited for the milk to boil. "20,000 coins for pasta? Seems a bit pricey. Maybe it's not too expensive though, I'm not really a food price specialist or whatever it's called."
Clay chuckled a bit at the remark. The fog from his breath slowly faded away in front of his face.
     Wyre looked over at where the rest of the family was sitting and took a deep breath. "Maybe you should make a Wublin to help heat you guys up. I don't know, just an idea."
     "A fire Wublin? Genius!" Clay slightly lowered his voice. "Why didn't I think of that earlier? Whatever, not important. Can you grab my sketchbook and a pen real quick? They should be over there on my desk."

     "Wy, come over here. I need some help figuring out if this designs good or not." Wyre sat down. Taking the notebook from Clay's hands, he quickly looked over the rough draft.
     "I'm not gonna lie, your designs are weird. I mean, if you want to, go ahead." He pushed the book back into Clay's arms.
     He sighed and looked down at the page.
     "Great answer... Whatever, could you hold the Wubs while I work? I promise I'll be speedy about it."
     "I, uh- yeah! Sure." Clay handed all 5 of them and the blanket to him. He sat on the hard stone floor.
     The rock left little scraps as Clay worked away.

     2 hours passed, and Clay had finished the statue and was about to get the eggs.
     "Wouldn't it make sense to get fire element eggs since, y'know, fire, heat, kinda the same thing?" Wyre slightly shrugged his shoulders.
     "They aren't the same thing, but smart idea. I'll go to Haven." Clay set the transporter for the waxy island that is Fire Haven. "I think they'll be fine if we just take a few eggs..."

     Clay entered through the portal, immediately being greeted by Tweedle and Flowah.
     He looked around for the person he wanted to talk to when he caught sight of her.  Kayna was sitting by herself, fidgeting with a half-melted candle.  Puffs of smoke poured from her head.
     Clay took a deep breath and stomped his way over to Kayna. 
     As she heard small static sounds of electrical popping and felt Clay's shadow looming over her, she turned around.  She jumped up and hugged him tightly.  (Which was difficult considering the size ratio.)
     "Zephyr!  Buddy!  I haven't seen ya in ages!  What've you been doing?"  Kayna held on tightly, her hands heating up by the second.
     "I-I've been over at an island I'm making.  I'm making my own monster family!"  Clay picked up Kayna and brought her closer to his face.  She still had Festival of Yay lights wrapped around her despite it being March.
     "Your own island?  What're you here for then?  You need something?"  She leaned her head slightly to the side.
     "Yeah, uh, you know how Amber island  has you put eggs into the vessels on there right?"  The robotic-ness in his voice started to become more noticeable as he grew more nervous.
     Kayna nodded her head.
     "Well, I was wondering if I could borrow some eggs?  Please?" 
     "No." Kayna crossed her arms, her coaly hands lit a vibrant orange.
"Oh, please Kay? I promise I can pay you guys back." Clay smiled nervously trying to convince her.
     She dropped her attitude and lowered her arms. "Listen, I would if I could, but Tring's protective of the eggs. Very protective. I don't think he'd be fine with it. I mean, last time someone tried to take an egg, he bit their hand! So, no. Sorry, but I don't want you taking the risk." She shook her head and pursed her lips.
     "Alright, fine. I won't." He leaned in a little closer and lowered his voice. "Can you please tell me when I can though? Maybe when he's a little, er," He glanced over to where Tring and Stogg were sitting. "calmer?" He looked back at Kayna.
     "Yeah! Of course I will." Kayna smiled warmly at him.  Clay placed her back down and headed back to the portal.

     Back at Wublin island, he was preparing the eggs to be zapped.
     "How is it even gonna heat up?" Wyre was looking over Clay's shoulder.
     "I got warm-blooded monsters over at Plant."
     "Wouldn't fire monsters work better?"
     "Yeah they would, but Kayna said no, so we've gotta stick with this." Clay shoved the oven door closed.
      The electrical energy bounced around a bit, but Clay managed to get it to go inside.

     The Wublin looked around, making little kazoo like noises. The room suddenly got really warm, like a sauna, or maybe like Earth island during SummerSong.
     "Jeez. Am I going nuts or is it really hot in here?" Wyre tugged at the collar of his sweater.
     The Wublin's face was turning red, and tons of steam was flowing out of the top of its head.
     "Shit, I think Kazoo might be making all that..." Clay quickly opened the door and grabbed one of Wyres hats. The heat slowly began to fade, and their face faded back to its original blue color.
     "Might've ruined your hat a bit. Sorry..." Clay picked it up, and handed it to Wyre. The fabric was moist and warm. Gross.
     Wyre shrugged. "It's fine, I didn't like this one anyway, went outta style quick."
Clay looked down at the new Wublin.
     "What's gonna be your name?" He spoke to himself, striding back and forth in front of the desk.
     Kazoo, Zooka? Zooke? Zuuker!
     "Zuuker!" He bent foward, his face right infront of Zuukers. "Welcome to the family, kiddo."