♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕺𝔫𝔢 ♔

Shorter chapter, so here a surprise update!

———

♔ 𝔑𝔦𝔯𝔞 ♔

When I wake, I am alone, still curled on the single armchair where I sat to converse with Calix. There is a fleeting moment where I wonder of his whereabouts, but I do not dwell. It is none of my concern, and I have no intention of letting it be so.

I rise from the chair, stretching out my limbs with exaggeration, and drag my fingers through my still damp hair. I hadn't meant to sleep, for there are two things I still wish to do before we leave tomorrow.

First, find my brother. I have no hope that he will abandon my father's side and join me to the Night Court – I am unsure as to if that is what I even want. Still, I wish to say farewell, because I imagine the next that I see him, the circumstances are bound to be far more dire. At least, this way, I can make sure he knows where to find me, if he ever finds himself keen to support his sister, rather than his King.

Second to that, I want to return to the wyvern. She needs to be informed of what is to happen tomorrow. When we leave, I do not want the trouble of her not following – for what an embarrassment that would be for me. She must know that as soon as she sees Tynan lift to the sky, and our carriage behind him, she is to join us too. Simply because I have claimed her. She is mine, and the prophesied Wyvern Tamer should have such beast at her side. That way, people may be inclined to take my threats far more seriously.

I tie up my boots and leave the wing to be met with an unusual silence. There is no question as to why. It is likely that all the Guards have been redirected to defend their King and the Crown Prince, following the display from me. I pose a threat, and it is not one they will be willing to risk. Wise, actually, for if I was to come across my father without his Guard, I cannot be sure of what my response would be.

It will prove difficult this way to find Darin. The castle is huge, and I have neither the time nor patience to seek him out. More so, I do not find myself keen to speak to him with an audience. There is no doubt in my mind that the Guards will refuse to leave his side to allow for a moment of privacy between us siblings.

I stroll the corridors, on alert for a stray Guard that could at least pass on the message. If Darin knows I am searching for him, there is at least some chance he will appease my request. Though, there remains the chance he will not. He saw, just like all others, what I did in Medusa's Lair. Did it frighten him, to see what has become of me? Has he admonished me, estranged me from the family as my father has? Even the thought of losing the brother I have just found again carves painfully into my chest.

On my descent to the ground floor, I see the stride of a tall male, dark blonde hair crawling down his scalp. I hurry my last few steps before calling out, "Excuse me!"

He responds, turning to regard me, and his face is the last I expect to see. "My, do Fae ears suit you."

A smile grows upon my lips at Roman's drawl, at the twinkle in his eye. He looks... spectacular. Dressed in the finery of the Guard's wear, even more broad and bulked than the last I saw him, all those months ago. His hair is still trimmed in the same fashion, either side of his head shaved short, though the hair that runs down the centre has grown longer, waves twisting into loose curls. He notices me dissecting his appearance and smirks in response. "I suppose we're both a sight for sore eyes."

"How are you here?" I ask him, reaching to envelope him in a hug. I hadn't even consider doing so, it is an action that happens without thought. The terms we left things on were ambiguous. Roman had displayed something of a romantic interest in me, and I had responded to such by arguing against his help when I burned my leg, and stealing his cloak under the pretence of an almost-kiss. Still, he betted on my victory, and despite me killing the King and dying thereafter, he must have gotten his pay out.