♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕱𝔬𝔲𝔯 ♔

♔ 𝔑𝔦𝔯𝔞 ♔

Calix and I sprint between the trees at a pace I would usually stumble at. Both of us weave and dodge bowing branches and overgrown bushes, jumping risen tree roots, and fallen logs. My heart is thundering, my breathes escaping in short, shallow pants.

I feel horribly naked, vulnerable, even with the dagger still held firmly in my palm.

So long I focused on honing these powers that I forgot all else that I used to rely on. Only once since I was made have I picked up a weapon, and after that, I forgot all about how essential they had been in my life. Now, stripped of my power, I realise just how naïve that was of me.

"Keep running." Calix hisses beside me. It is not cruel, the way he says it, but more urgent. Past the blood pounding between my ears, I can hear as to why. The clicking has come again, though this time a chorus of it, and it follows at a pace we cannot outrun. I force every ounce of residual energy into sprinting harder, faster, and Calix does the same.

It is pointless, though, because they are still following. They have seen us, or smelled us, for whatever power they have in their bodies that steals us of the power within ours barrels into us.

A horrible cold lurks in my chest, spreading towards my limbs, finding every small morsel of whatever power lingers within me. It was different, with just one Magfuror. It felt like a trickle of liquid, hardly noticeable until it drips and leaves a splash. This is more like an onslaught. An invasion. It is a crashing wave that sweeps over us and strips us back to our barest forms. Entirely vulnerable. And no matter what I know of the Fae, I know that neither Calix nor I have the endurance to continue running like this until the creatures give up chase.

"Calix," I am not sure why I call his name – blind panic, perhaps, or the hope of comfort – but the glance he spares me over his shoulder tells all. He is not sure how we are going to get out of this either. My hand flexes around the daggers hilt. It will have to be this.

The clicking turns into shrieking, and a garbled noise passes my lips as it pierces my skull. They are closer, gaining on us. Our speed is no match for their quick long strides.

I think I sob.

Calix stops abruptly, half skidding across the dry ground, and his arms shoot out to slow me too. A figure moves towards us. I had been too occupied with those which followed behind us to consider what approached, and though I am breathless and dizzy, I ready my dagger to throw. It is not weighted right, but even if it buys us a second of time, I will risk it.

Before my arm extends, I see wings, and I breathe relief. Tynan.

He slows when he reaches us, his hands reaching for me when he sees the blood that covers my arm and clothes. I had not even noticed till now. He looks more than panicked while he hysterically searches my skin.

"Did it get you?" He rushes out.

I shake my head, but Calix answers. "No. She killed it." Tynan squeezes my shoulders before turning to his Lord.

"We're completely surrounded. They're herding us." Calix curses, turning full circle as he tries to seek an exit from between the trees. I know without his say so that we are out of luck. We have nowhere to go. We stand here and wait to die, or stand and fight, and hope to evade death for another day. The jarring symphony of clicking and screeching is all I need to give me my answer. I have had flesh torn from my bones before and have no desire to relive that agony.

"Your bow." I shout, anxiety flooding my veins. Both Tynan and Calix look at me with a start. "Tynan, give me your bow."

He nods with easy compliance, taking it from over his body and thrusting it at me. It is a heavy type, but nothing I cannot manage. Smooth black varnished finish, with silver grooves carved out in an intricate design. At either side of the grip, two round emerald jewels glint against the moonlight.