♔ 𝕱𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔶 - 𝕿𝔴𝔬 ♔

This chapter is slightly shorter bc it would have been just too long otherwise. Alas, enjoy!

♔ 𝔑𝔦𝔯𝔞 ♔

An asset.

Inet works silently as she tightens the lace on my corset. I look at my reflection. The fabric is as black as my ruined heart, satin that begins at my waist, running to the floor behind me and in front of me. My legs are on display through the deep slits, though my thighs are wrapped in twists of lace, swirling over my skin not too dissimilar to the Stygian. Or Calix's shadows.

I need to keep.

The bodice is made of the same lace, two strips that cover my breasts and slope off of my shoulders. The side panels are missing, but the same twisting designs lay over my rips, just as they do towards my throat and down to my elbows. It is a stunning gown, but so unlike all that I have warn before. It is somehow darker, and queenly and villainous. Wearing it, I look like all the evil that the prophecy of the Seer promised. Darkness and ruin and death.

When Inet finishes with the lace, she pulls my hair from over my shoulders and down my back. I can see the ruined mark from Calix.

Do not think I did this for you.

"No." I say, pulling my hair forward once more. It covers it. Hides it, like how I hide the mark of Abutilon with my power. It feels as though this new body is ruined already. Marred with ownership.

Inet nods, stepping backwards before running her eyes over the selection of jewellery scattered across my dresser. "Would you like silver?"

"No." I repeat, and the Stygian appears to glove my hands and weave through my hair. "There is no need." She says nothing else as I leave my room, heading straight for the garden.

It is mild outside, warm enough that I will fair fine without a jacket, but as the sun continues to lower from the burnt orange sky, so does the temperature. That is no surprise, for Autumn is here, and so is the beginning of the Equinox. Tonight the competitors announce themselves, and I plan to reveal myself to those who do not already know of my existence.

I avoided the first night, the pointless celebration of drinking and dancing, for I do not think I could manage to maintain pleasantries with those that I wish dead. Truthfully, I do not think they night would have been much of a celebration at all, because as soon as I show myself, I know that I should expect an assault from several Fae. They are going to want to kill me.

Vasami lifts her head as I drift across the grounds. "Fly with your children to the Royal Court. Wait for me within the trees. I will call on you when I arrive." She blinks once, and then snaps at Maxas and Callisto before all three lift into the sky. Vasami leads, the two young trailing behind her. I watch until they disappear into the distance.

"You're terrifying enough without inviting your wyverns too." For the first time I have seen, Tynan is dressed like a warrior. A dark pair of dark navy pants sculpt his legs, and laid over them is plates of ebony steel armour, like that which sits across is torso and shoulders. His hair is knotted from his face, expression grim.

"I thought it best in case the Royals and Lords required a little extra persuasion to let me compete." I do not add that I will instruct Vasami to tear apart any Fae that dare threaten me, too.

He hums thoughtfully, rubbing a hand over his jaw. "You are a Queen. They cannot deny you."

"I am sure they will try." Tynan offers me his hand to escort me back inside, but I do not take it. His brows furrow with concern. "I will come alone. Better that Calix and I are not seen to possess an alliance before the first task."