The Beginning of the End

CONTENT WARNING:

This story will contain graphic depictions of one or all of the following: Self-harm and drug addiction. Those who suffer from depression or who do not desire to read depictions of one or all of the above-mentioned topics should not read any further or skip over the parts. I will be mentioning before each graphic part if you would not like to read it. Thank you.

I do not own RWBY, RWBY is owned by Rooster Teeth and their affiliates. Thanks, now onto the story!

Third Person POV

Pyrrha was in the elevator with the four adults, heading down. She looked extremely nervous, looking at each of the adults subtly.

"Uh... Where are we going?" The spartan asked in a low tone, almost sounding as if she didn't want to speak at all.

"The vault. Under the school," Ozpin answered, not looking anywhere but the closed door.

Eventually, the elevator ride came to an end, signaled with a ding. The four adults stepped out first, Pyrrha following behind after a short moment. Outside the doors, it was a long, badly-lit hallway. Ozpin, Qrow, and Ironwood started walking, while Goodwitch stayed back to walk with Pyrrha.

"I'm sure you must have questions," Goodwitch said.

Pyrrha replied, a blank gaze in her eyes,

"Maybe one, or two..."

She paused for a moment then continued,

"I still don't understand. You said I was next in line to receive the Maiden's power. What do you mean by that?"

"The Maidens have existed for thousands of years. But much like in nature, the seasons change. No two summers are alike. When a Maiden dies, her power leaves her body and seeks out a new host, ensuring that the seasons are never lost and that no individual can hold on to that power forever."

"So, how does the power choose?"

Qrow responded this time, still facing forward,

"Through a series of stupid and convoluted rules."

"Qrow," Goodwitch said agitatedly.

"Don't get mad 'cause I'm right," He smugly responded.

Goodwitch sighed, then continued speaking to Pyrrha,

"At first, the only thing that was certain was that the powers were specifically passed on to young women. But as time went on, it was discovered that the selection process was much more... intimate."

"Intimate?" Pyrrha asked, concern in her voice.

"As we understand it now, when a Maiden dies, the one who is in her final thoughts is the first candidate to inherit her power."

"Unless it's a dude or some old hag. Then the power goes to someone random, and our job gets a lot harder," Qrow butted in.

"Why tell me all of this now? Why not wait until I've graduated?" The redhead asked.

"We've run out of time. I don't know if you've noticed, but things are getting a lot scarier out in the world. Tensions are high. Grimm are growing stronger, and more prevalent. And it's not going to be much longer before the peace we've been enjoying so much goes out the window."

"You're not... talking about a war?"

"Not a war between nations," Ironwood responded this time.

"We can fill you in on the details once we know that you're with us. For now, all you need to know is that the Maidens have been attacked and for the first time in history, part of her power was stolen," Qrow grumbled.