xii. mutual friends

Jack woke up the next morning frazzled out of his mind.

Honestly, he didn't believe last night's events even happened. Maybe it was just a dream, he convinced himself. Maybe she's just sleeping next door. Maybe he could get rid of the ache in his heart and the uncomfortable feeling in his stomach whenever he thought of her. Maybe.

Nevertheless, he willed himself to get out of the uncomfortable position he slept in last night and face the day as best he could. Daniel texted him as soon as his foot touched the ground. It was as if he knew. He called for a group meeting in Nikita's room. Jack wondered why, out of all places did they had to have a meeting there.

Jack walked to her room and proceeded to put his hand on the door handle, only to find it was ajar. The first thing he saw was Daniel standing with his arms on his hips, looking like a mother fed up with her children.

"She's gone." He said.

After a while, Jack responded, "Well, we just wait for her to come back."

"She's not coming back, Jack-in-the-box." Was Merritt's reply as he entered the room with Henley right behind him.

"So wh- what are we gonna do? We can't just let her leave. She's part of this family." This time, it was Henley who spoke, with a dejected tone and a shake to her voice.

"We get her back." Jack wasn't sure what drove him to say the words that came out of his mouth. Maybe he was finally driven insane. He knew what she was. He knew it terrified him beyond imagination. But he also knew that he felt for her in a way he never felt for anyone else. And it was a good feeling. That was why he needed to find her. To get her back.

"...Okay." Daniel's response certainly surprised everyone, given the looks he got when he saw their faces. He sighed, eyebrows raised at him. "She's special, even I know that. I'm not that stupid-"

"Well..." Merritt stopped and raised his hands in a defensive manner when Daniel's glare reached him. "Just sayin'." He mumbled.

Daniel continued, "I've seen how you all are with her," Jack didn't miss the pointed look directed his way, "and it would be a shame to lose such a valuable investment." He added the last part to seem as if he didn't care about her but everyone knew he grew fond of her company in their shared time as well. No matter how hard he tried to hide it.

"Alright, so we find her, but how are we even gonna attempt to start looking?"

"I might know someone." Henley threw a confused glance at Daniel's answer.

-

"Who are you?"

"Ok, I didn't say I knew him directly, it's more of a like a... mutual friend type thing." He ignored the team's deadpan stares.

"Again, who are you? I got from my guys that you had some information about my mother."

"Who's your mother?" Jack cut in.

"Nikita, Nikita Mikaelson."

Everyone's eyes widened at this revelation and only then did Daniel remember that this information wasn't disclosed to them. There wasn't a chance to, seeing as the team were too flustered last night and Nikita went homicidal and killed a bunch of people, not that they knew yet.