Chapter X

𝐈𝐭 had been many days, many days since Killua last saw Gon. He was restless and anxious, he started to doubt what Gon had said. He paced back and forth in his room, he had already searched the village many times and all the locations they went together, only to be met with disappointment.

'Is he okay? Maybe he's busy, yeah! That could be it. He wouldn't lie to me...right? He made a promise...he wouldn't just break it, I could see it in his eyes...but what if..what if..? No! Stop thinking like that Killua! Something must've happened, that's the only rational reason. I promise I'll find you Gon, I'll never stop looking for you till' the day I die. Who could I ask for help though?' In midthought, he suddenly remembered the blonde boy from the bakery. They had become good friends after getting to know one another.

Hastily making his way down the ladder, Killua rushed through the woods to make it back into the town. He made sure to still keep an eye out for Gon, just in case. He maneuvered through the crowd and alleyways so as to not get noticed by the townsfolk. Finally reaching the bakery, he opened the door which had caused the bell to set off, signifying someone had just entered. Kurapika, who had just finished clearing the dishes, was about to welcome the person. Once realizing it was Killua, he put on a genuine smile rather than a workers' smile. "Killua! What brings you here? Still looking for Gon?" he asked with a soft look.

"Yeah," Killua replied with a sigh.

"No luck?"

"Yeah, I just don't know where else to look! I checked everywhere and nothing came of it." Kurapika smiled and placed a hand on his head.

"How about I help you look? One extra pair of eyes might aid you in your search," he laughed lightheartedly. Killua looked up and immediately declined.

"I can't let you do that! You have a whole bakery to run, you don't need to close up just for me and my troubles!"

"I insist, everyone will be fine without the bakery being open for a day. Besides, Gon is my friend and you are too. If you are in need of help, I'm more than happy to be there." Killua's eyes widened with small tears threatening to fall any second. Kurapika panicked but was cut off guard by Killua wrapping his arms around his waist. His face softened and he ruffled his hair in retaliation. After a few seconds, Kurapika took a hold of Killua's shoulders and kneeled down to his height. "Now c'mon, I think I know another person who would want to join the search." Killua nodded and wiped his tears away.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

After Kurapika closed up and double checked everything was in its right place, he joined Killua outside. "So, who's joining us?" Killua asked curiously.

"Just a friend of mine." Kurapika responded as he went into a building with the sign 'Beer N' Chips.' Killua followed along but instinctively covered his nose when he walked through the doors, he hated the smell of alcohol. He waited by the door as Kurapika talked with who seemed to be the bartender. When the two finished, Killua perked up as they made their way to him. "Killua, I'd like you to meet Leorio. Leorio, meet Killua." The two shook hands despite Killua being wary as he knew nothing of the male. He trusted Kurapika but still had to keep his guard up. The three exited the building and chatted as they walked around.

"Sooo, uh, does anyone have any ideas?" Killua asked awkwardly as he fiddled with his hair.

"Well, when Leorio and I were chatting, we concluded the only other place Gon could be in...was in the castle." Killua nodded in agreement, he sort of forgot Gon was a prince.

"Ah, that makes a lot of sense. What can we do though? It's not like we can just waltz inside!"

"We know that, that's why we made a plan! Kurapika here will distract the guards while I keep an eye out from afar."

"And what about me?" Killua asked Leorio sarcastically.

"You're gonna find Gon, I thought that was obvious?"

"Wait- hold up, why me?!"

"Well, I don't exactly think you can just talk to the guards without them taking you in. Besides, we both know you want to see Gon more than anything." Kurapika stated, knowing he was right.

"S-shut up! Let's just go already!" Killua said with an embarrassed look on his face.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Everything was going just as the three had planned. Kurapika successfully diverted the guard's attention to him, which in turn alerted Leorio to signal to Killua that he could advance over the wall. Once he made it over, he made sure to stick to the corners just in case anyone was nearby. As he was crouching around, Killua suddenly heard a rustle. His breath hitched and he glanced around vigorously, panicking as he tried to find a place to hide. Spotting a nearby bush, he dove into it without hesitation.

Killua waited a few minutes before he confirmed it was safe to move around again. Hesitantly stepping out the bush, he continued to look around, making sure to peek in every window in case Gon was in there. With every window he checked, the more his determination diminished. He was nearing the last few windows so far with no sight of his dear friend.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

This was it...the final window, Killua's final hope. He peeked up and...nothing. He sighed and his shoulder's dropped. "At least I tried." He muttered before turning around and beginning to climb the wall yet again. Just as he turned around at the top of the wall, through the window he saw spiky hair pass by. Killua almost forgot how to breathe with how many mixed emotions he was feeling at the time. Remembering why he was there, he shook his head and jumped back down in an instant. His excitement could not be detained as he looked to the ground for something to catch Gon's attention.

Spotting small rocks, he collected a handful and began to throw them at his window. Gon, who was in the middle of his studies, was confused at the sudden sound of something hitting his window. He approached the glass and looked out, expecting an animal or maybe some flying debris. It was an unexpected surprise when Gon spotted Killua. He slapped his hand over his mouth out of instinct, small tears welling in his eyes. Killua waved his hands happily, a huge smile present on his face. Gon reciprocated by waving back to him.

Killua motioned for him to open the window and come out. Gon frowned, knowing he couldn't no matter how much he tried. He showed Killua by trying to pull up the window with all the power he had. He shook his head and looked at Killua sadly. Killua immediately understood what he meant, he bit his lip as he was still concerned, he knew he couldn't do anything else to help. Gon glanced down at Killua with a bated breath, wondering what he was thinking of.

Looking back up at Gon, Killua had a small smile on his face. Gon could tell by that look he was cooking something up, this eased his worries as he trusted him. Before Killua left over the wall, he formed his hands into a heart and showed it to Gon. Gon did the same and formed a heart with his hands, a small blush present on his cheeks.