Chapter XIII

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 Kite could conclude would be perfect, was later that night. He placed everything he examined in its respective place before exiting Gon's chamber, leaving no trace that someone had ever entered. Hours would pass before Gon was finished with his test. When he did, he was exhausted and practically dragging himself as he walked. "Oh, hello there Kite, do you have a letter for me today?" Gon asked politely, looking at him with the best smile he could muster up with the rest of the strength he had.

"As a matter of fact, yes I do. Here you are," he bowed as he handed him the letter, opening the door for Gon as well. Heading inside, Gon first went over to his bed and face planted on it.

"Man that took forever! Anyways, let's see what Killua wrote today," his once enervated face morphed into an energetic expression when he began to open the letter.

In the midst of reading, Gon heard his door being opened. He was perplexed at first, Kite didn't usually unlock the door at night. He could see him peek his head through the crack of the door. The two made eye contact and Kite placed a finger on his lips before observing his surroundings. In a quiet voice, he whispered to Gon, "Go."

It took a hot second before Gon finally understood what he meant. Once he did, he jumped from his bed and rushed over to his possibly only chance of freedom at the time. Just as he was about to leave, Gon's footsteps came to a halt. He looked back at Kite and walked over to him, giving him a giant hug. "Thank you," was all he muttered before he was completely out of sight.

Kite watched the entire thing, wiping the few tears away when he no longer saw Gon. At the same time, Gon had successfully exited the castle without being caught and without much trouble. I mean, he did live there for many years, it would only make sense that he knew every nook and cranny.

With the moonlight as a guide, Gon ran with joy, taking in the air and having only one goal on his mind.