Chapter XII

𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 Gon and Killua were apart, they had sent each other countless letters. With each letter they learned something new about one another, strengthening the bond between both boys. Not only did the bond increase, the two found themselves growing fond of the other, one could say...a small crush perhaps?

Gon would eagerly wait for each letter, reading the old and new ones constantly on his desk or bed. He would always feel giddy on the inside, kicking his legs while snuggling with a pillow. Killua on the other hand would always wake up bright and early to visit Kurapika, hoping he had another letter to give him.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

One day, Kite was heading to Gon's room as usual to deliver the letter he had received that day. He had noticed the increasing number of letters but paid no mind, as again, it wasn't his business. When he was about to knock on the door, he remembered Gon wouldn't be there as he was testing with the queen. With this in mind, Kite's gaze drifted towards the letter in his hand. He wouldn't lie and say he wasn't curious all this time. I mean, why would the baker need to send so many letters to the prince?

He really didn't want to invade the prince's stuff but he had to know what was up. Despite knowing what punishments and consequences he would face if he were caught, he opened the door to Gon's chamber. Carefully observing the room, he made sure the coast was clear and no one was nearby. Just as he was about to enter, he heard a voice. "Sir Kite?" It was Bisky. He froze in his path, not really knowing what to say. "What are you doing? The prince isn't in today, he's taking a test at the time."

"Lady Bisky! Looking ever so ravishing this evening. I wasn't informed the prince was out, I apologize. He had received a letter so when no one answered, I was going to see if he was alright."

"Ah, I see. Well, you should just leave it on his desk, carry on then," and with that, she left. Kite let out a relieved sigh, grateful he was convincing enough to not get caught. Once again, he looked around for any sight of someone nearby, double checking this time as he clearly wasn't looking hard enough the last time. Carefully closing the door behind him, he first checked out Gon's desk, looking for the letters.

He saw a silver knob on the front of the desk, almost too small to notice. Sliding it open, he found many stacked letters, they were all neat and organized by the date. He grabbed the latest one and read it to himself.

'Dear Gon, I know I say this all the time but I can't help it, I miss you. A lot. I really hope the queen will quit keeping you confined in your room with no freedom, I know how much you miss the outdoors dearly. Good luck on your test by the way, I know for a fact it'll be a breeze for you! My days have been getting better, I'm slowly learning to ignore the stares and snide remarks. The fear is slowly decreasing, I can finally enjoy my life for what it's worth. I've also quit stealing, you were right with what you told me, you always are. Though it's all thanks to Kurapika and Leorio, they've been a giant boost in my life. They provide me with food and drinks so I don't have to go hungry all the time. It's almost like they're the parents I never had, it's...nice. I can't wait till the day I get to see you again, you can finally see what I mean when I say the two are almost sickening to be with. They are too lovey dovey for my liking (I'm joking). Anyways, tell me about your day, still doing well? Yours truly, Killua <3'

Kite was stunned, he felt a small trickle of tears fall down his face. He wiped it away before they fell on the paper. He didn't know what to think, his heart hurt just reading what Killua had written. He and the others had misjudged this boy so bad and the guilt was weighing down on him. He despised himself from keeping the two apart, he finally understood they both brought good in each other's life. Killua was never a bad kid, Gon was correct, he was just trying to survive the life he was given.

"This is wrong, Gon should have every right to see this boy," Kite glanced at the window then at the door. "I'm sorry my queen...but I need to disobey your orders." He was thinking of a plan to get the two to see each other without the queen's acknowledgement.