Chapter 18

Kim "Ethan" Yong-saeng

I was not fine. Great, just what I needed!

My wolf was not feeling well either.

Constantly, I would feel tired and sick. Luckily, all my college courses were online, so I could attend class. Afterward, I would curl up into a ball. Also, Max was nice enough to take notes of the high school classes that I was missing. Plus, I could remember a little bit about the subject matter from the past.

Andrés hadn't seen me from the last time, and I was fine with that. I can hardly notice him at all.

On the other hand, my wolf didn't agree with me at all. He actually got mad at me and has since stopped talking to me altogether. No matter how much I try to speak with him, he gives me the silent treatment.

I'm sure he will come around soon. I hope.

If that wasn't a lot to worry about, Hope was still showing up even sooner than before. Unfortunately, things were going from bad to worse.

"Ethan, how are you feeling?" Asked omma as she came into my room with warm tea. She has been caring for me and ensuring I am being fed.

"I'm okay," I tell her as I try to get up from my bed but fail to do so.

"I think it is time to take you to the doctor again. Maybe you got a false negative for covid," she tells me worriedly as she redials the information to Dr. Charles. I could understand where she was coming from. Werewolves rarely get sick; they always heal themselves. The thing was that I wasn't healing like I usually can, and mom was quickly panicking.

Just great!

To my surprise, Andrés showed up after the call.

"Hey, I heard that you aren't doing well," said Andrés as he entered my room.

"Ethan, I'm going to start an IV and get some blood tests to see what is happening. You should have healed by now," commented the doctor as he got the correct needle and tubes.

"On a scale of zero to ten, how is your pain?" Asked Dr. Charles as he started to slowly draw my blood.

"My pain was at maybe a seven or eight, but now my pain level is at three," I told the physician.

"Okay, that's good," he said.

"Is there anything that could be triggering your pain?" He asked me.

"I don't think so. I have felt a little bad all day, but now I feel much better. But, honestly, I wish I had a better response," I told him.

"I'm feeling a little thirsty, though."

"Andrés, can you please go get Ethan some water?" Asked mom. To which Andrés said yes and left the room.

After he left, my pain started to increase again.

"My chest and throat are starting to hurt again," I explain to the doctor. Then, quickly, he starts to write something down on his tablet.

"Let me give you some medicine to help with the pain," said Dr. Charles as get got a couple of medicine vials and started to prep the syringe.

"What is going on? I heard Ethan's voice from downstairs," Andrés said as he came into the room with a glass of water in hand and proceeded to give me the water.

Suddenly, my pain goes down without the medicine.

"Wait, my pain has gone down," I told the doctor.

Both omma and the doctor look at Andrés.

"Has your wolf stopped talking to you?" Asked Dr. Charles. How did he know?

"Yes, it stopped talking to me about one week ago," I said. But then, the lightbulb goes off.

"I'm not sure how to say this, but you are showing signs of rejection from your mate. If you're around your mate, your pain will decrease, but when they are away, your pain will increase," explains the doctor.

"But Andrés didn't reject me," I told the doctor and omma to reassure them that it couldn't be what they were thinking. There was no way I was going through rejection. There was just no way. So I tell myself as I turn to look at Andrés.

"What do you mean by rejection?" Asked a curious Andrés.

I opened my mouth, but words didn't come out.

"I think it's best to leave Ethan and Andrés so they can talk privately," said Dr. Charles to mother.

"What did the doctor mean when he said your wolf thinks I rejected you?" Asked Andrés once again.

"Rejection is when a mate rejects the other counterpart. In extreme cases, they both can die if the bond isn't broken," I explained. My emotions were all over the place, and I was so tired. Honestly, I haven't even thought about doing my mission at all.

Ahhh!

Andrés quickly hold my hand.

"You are kidding, right? I don't even dislike you!" He said as he sat down next to me on the bed.

"Can you really die from this?" Asked Andrés as his voice broke. My mind shifted to Andrés' late mother, and I knew I had to say something before he started spiraling.

"Andrés, my wolf just thought because of your wording that you disliked me, and he could not take it," I tell him.

"I'm going to be honest with you. It's very rare for werewolves to die," I said. I wasn't sure how much he knew about werewolf rules since I knew he lived outside a pack since he was born. His mother probably didn't even know that her son was a werewolf.

"I just said, 'This is wrong' because I never have the time to even think about liking anyone, let alone a guy. My mother got sick, and I had to get a job to support her to pay for the medication she needs," he tells me with tears in his eyes.

I didn't know what to say, so I hugged him in an awkward position.

---

omma means mom (informal)

---

I hope you enjoy it! Thank you for reading this book. It means the world to me. Sorry it's been so long. Getting a job and studying is tiring. I don't know how people do this (⊙.⊙)