Chapter 2

Kim "Ethan" Yong-saeng

There is less than one week before I become head Beta. Typically, the role of head Beta would be given to the family's firstborn at the age of twenty-one. However, sometimes, the firstborn Beta would have to wait even longer if they decide to go to university.

Sadly, my older brother, Won-shik, passed away. For that reason, father pushed for me to be trained sooner in case of an emergency. Of course, I disagreed with his ideas but I still followed him because his the head beta. Likewise, I have been training for almost two years to be head Beta.

"Yong-saeng, can you help your brother with his homework?" Mother asks as she is getting ready to leave. My younger brother is at the kitchen table, having difficulty understanding his homework.

"Sure, omma," I replied to mother. I sat down next to Liam.

"Can you read my paragraphs and tell me what may be confusing for you to understand? My teacher said that we had to do the five-step writing process, but I'm having a hard time with revising steps," said Liam as he points to the paragraph that he was struggling with.

The rest of my evening is spent helping Liam revise and edit his paragraphs homework. It was getting late, and omma hadn't come home yet. Probability talking with her other pack members and lost track of time.

"Want to order pizza?" I ask Liam as I reach for my phone. I quickly text Andrés that I won't be able to go today to help him. He responded quickly and told me okay.

"Yes, I want cheese pizza, please," said Liam. So, I go to the pizza website to order two pizzas: one large cheese pizza and one large beef pizza.

School is the worst! I have to juggle working for Andrés and my school studies simultaneously. Sometimes, I wonder what the point of working so hard is if all your effort won't be recognized.

Then, I look over at my younger brother, Liam, and know I am doing this for him. If I don't have to take responsibility, Liam will have to. I want my younger brother to be happy and follow his dream even if I can't.

◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽

Today is the day. Great! My ceremony will start soon, so I go to Andrés' house to ensure he is ready to go. The Alpha must be there for the ceremony to start.

"Alpha Andrés," I called out from the front door. No response. I let myself in and used my werewolf hearing ability to find Andrés.

"I knew this would happen," I said as I rolled my eyes at Andrés and the two human chicks that were in bed with him, sleeping. Double great!

"Today, it's my ceremony," I said as I checked the time on my watch.

"And it starts in one hour," I sighed.

I go over to Andrés' closet and grab a suit. I throw the suit at him and quickly dash to the bathroom to grab mouthwash. What was I expecting from Andrés anyway? I think as I try not to roll my eyes again.

"It's not a big deal. Everyone knows your head Beta already," said Andrés as he strumbled out of bed. He almost trips on the bed covers.

"I need you to get ready. You better not ruin this for me," I said to Andrés in a severe tone.

"Yeah, yeah. You're such a killjoy," said Andrés as he shoos me away from his bedroom.