Chapter 22

Kim "Ethan" Yong-saeng

Here we go again. Great! I try my best not to focus too much on everything, but at the same time, I have to make sure where Hope is at all times. She hadn't done anything in this timeline, but you never know. One small decision can change everything. No pressure at all.

The same event was repeated, making me even more uneasy. How do I even explain to Andrés that Hope was out to get me or, worse, hoping to end me?

My phone starts to vibrate again in my pocket. It's Max. I decided to ignore the call because I was busy with the whole Hope situation. The pack members could feel the tension in the room.

Also, Hope was happily chatting it up with Andrés in the dining room. This feels very weird, but how can I stop it?

This version of Hope was very different from the rest to the point that it's creepy. There were no parents this time, and her personality was joyful compared to being rude like last time. The laughter fills the room even more, so I try to stop my eyes from rolling, but I fail.

She would smile at everyone and laugh every time Andrés said something funny. Who was even counting? Twenty laughs in total.

On the other hand, the only similarity to the other versions of Hope is that she is pregnant.

"Excuse me, do you know where the bathroom is?" Asked Hope as she tapped my shoulder to get my attention. I turned away from the kitchen table and pretended I wasn't just listening to Andrés and her conversation.

"It is down the hall to the left," I tell her. I was still suspicious about why she was here, but I decided to just keep an eye on her for now. Maybe this Hope is less harmful than the rest.

"Ethan, the alpha needs to talk with you," said Mia after Hope had left. Usually, Mia would have her hair straight, but today, she had hair in lovely light brown curls.

I nod in quick response.

"Ahhhh," I hear a female shriek from outside, and I ran towards the noise.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"I'm fine," said Greg in a voice higher than usual. He coughs and tries to lower his voice.

"Are you sure?" I asked him.

"Yeah, the wind tried to knock the barbeque off the grill. It almost gave me a heart attack. Everything is fine, dude," said Greg as he was busy making sure his meat was okay.

"I heard a girl scream. Is everything okay?" I asked Rose as she walked outside.

"Peachy," said Greg in a serious and deeper tone that wasn't his voice at all, which I tried not to laugh.

"Now, leave both of you!" Exclaimed an aggravated Greg as he used metal tongs to shu us away from the grill.

Rose and I couldn't hold our laughter anymore as we walked inside.

"Ethan," I hear my name being called.

"Yes," I respond quickly.

"Alpha August said that he couldn't make it. Something about his car stuck on a muddy road. Your father and mother have gone to help. They said it will take at least two hours for them to return," Andrés explains as he grabs my hand.

"No worries," I said quietly, walking to sit down next to Andrés.

I'm mature and can do this without my parent's help. What is the worst that can happen?

"I was wondering, what is your favorite color?" asked Hope as she entered the room glowing. She ties her ginger hair back. After that, I tone out their conversation for my sanity to be okay.

My wolf would have talked by now, but I was hearing nothing. I guess that he agrees with me. Now that I think about it. Where is my wolf? I haven't heard from him in a while!

"Andrés, tell me more about your puppy," demanded Hope as she moved closer to him. If I rolled my eyes even more, they would fall out.

You do know that the saying is if you roll your eyes too much, they can get stuck.

Ahhhh! I told my wolf.

Someone looks jealous. He sings just to bother me more.

I'm not! I don't care that Andrés is having a long conversation with this crazy person. Who would be jealous of her? Never.

The more I heard her laugh, the more I was ready to scream. I need to try to relax.

You do know that I can hear you?

"Ethan, are you okay?" Asked Mia and everyone in the room looked at me. I avoid looking at Andrés.

"Who is ready to eat?" Asked Greg before I could respond to Mia's question, which I was thankful for. I'm not sure how many times I had to tell everyone that I was fine till it would be true. My nervousness was on the edge, and I couldn't help it.

Greg brought plates for each one of us at the table. We were severed in order of pack ranking: Andrés, me, Greg, Rose, Mia, and Hope.

We have a big piece of steak, rice, kidney beans, kimchi, and other side dishes. Everything looked so delicious, but I felt something was wrong deep down.

"Let me help you," said Andrés before I could protest. He moved his plate towards me, which had the perfect cut stake, and took my plate.

I quietly watch him cut my stake; when he is done, I try to reach over and grab it back. Andrés must have noticed, so he quickly took a bite of the stake with some rice. Then, he takes another bite.

I can hear Hope gasp in the background. She is turning paler by the second.

"Why are you doing that?" I asked as I tried to get my plate again. He moves it away from me and takes another spoonful of the food on his plate. Andrés is acting weird.

Something has to be in the food!

Quickly, I move closer to Andrés and knock the plate out of his hand.

"Andrés, you need to stop it," I said as I raised my voice, but I was too late.

Andrés started to cough and tried to cover his mouth. One second later, he starts to throw up blood. 

---

kimich is a spicy fermented cabbage dish

---

Happy New Year! It's been so long! More than seven months ⚆_⚆ Listen, I had to take some time off because of work. I hope things are calming down now so I can have more time to write.