Chapter 6

Kim "Ethan" Yong-saeng

I open my eyes and try to focus my vision. I wasn't sure where in the world I was.

As I look around, I can see white cushion walls.

All I could remember was the pain coming from my shoulder and a gun going off. Then, nothing else. I am too young to die!

Suddenly, a man in a black suit with clear-frame glasses emerges from the only door. He sits down on one of the two chairs and tries to pronounce my name correctly.

"Mr. Yo-you-- sa--sang--Kim," the man struggles to say my name as he looks at his tablet.

"Please call me Ethan," I quickly respond as I move over to the empty chair. I'm not sure what was going on.

"Welcome to Second Chance!" He exclaimed.

"Where we give a second chance to people that suffer unfair demises," He continues.

"Mr. Ethan, you have been lucky to be chosen out of about a hundred participants," said the man enthusiastically as he handed me another tablet that was titled 'Second Chance for Yong-Saeng Kim' at the top.

"Please read over the contract. If you have any questions, I will be happy to help," he continued as I took the tablet and read the contract.

I have yet to say anything because I was too shocked to speak. I couldn't have died, right? But what if this is true and I was in fact dead.

I quickly look over the contract and read the many sections. I didn't understand half of the contact, but I tried my best to look like I understood. Fake it till you make it.

"Section one C talks about a mission. What is the mission that I need to complete?" I ask curiously.

"Ah, yes. If you go back, you must complete one mission to continue living," said the man.

"Will I be told the mission beforehand?" I ask.

"The mission is specially made for each participant; even I don't know what it is. We don't tell the mission beforehand anymore because some participants have cheated in the past," explains the man. I nod my head in understanding.

"What if I don't complete the mission? What happens to me?" I ask the man more questions.

"That was some good questions. But, unfortunately, the participant would have to come back here; thus, lose their second chance," said the man who answered, which sent a shiver down my back.

Losing meant that I would have to leave my family and I, for one, didn't want that. How bad could the mission possibly be?

"Do you have any more questions?" Ask the man with a smile.

"Yes, if I go back, is there a chance I can get murderer again?" I asked because I was concerned. Dying again was not on my bucket list.

"The short answer is yes," he said.

"The long answer is that it depends. You win if you can complete your mission and avoid passing away. One of my close family members was able to complete his mission, and now he is happily living in the Bahamas," said the man as his smile grew.

I still wasn't too sure about signing the paper.

Part of me was scared of failing, but I also wanted to see my family again. So even if I don't complete the mission, I can see my family and hug them one last time.

I decided to sign on the black line. Then, I handed the tablet over to the man in the suit.

"Thank you for choosing Second Chance," said the man as he snapped his finger.

I heard a click from his finger and was suddenly back at my house.

My bed was the same as how I remembered and I looked over to see Liam in his bed, sleeping. I hear my omma cooking breakfast and abuji typing away on his computer, probably doing pack business. Before I can open my mouth to say something to them, my mission arrives.

Mission: Save the infant

That was all I was given. No name or more information, just three words. Who was the baby that I had to save? No clue at all.

I tried to think if any pack members had a baby right now. I know there wasn't anyone, but I'll ask omma; maybe she would know.

While I was busy overthinking, Liam exited his bed and ran downstairs for breakfast. I soon follow after him and sit down at the family table.

Everything felt so real. I couldn't believe it. Omma was making yachaejeon one of my favorites and to Liam's great displeasure. He hates yachaejeon and says it makes him want different type of pancakes.

"Can I have an American pancake?" Liam asks omma as she serves him some yachaejeon.

"Nope, today abuji picked the breakfast. Tomorrow it Yong-saeng. Then, you can pick after," omma explains to Liam.

"I never get what I want," mumbled Liam under his breath but still opened his mouth to eat the yachaejeon.

Soon abuji comes down the stairs and sits down to eat with us. It has been a tradition to try to have the whole family to at least breakfast three days each week together.

Watching my family talking and eating made me want to cry. I can't believe I got the chance to be here with them again. I feel so grateful to be back.

"Ethan, what is wrong? You're crying," said omma as she noticed my several tears running down my face.

"Nothing, something in my eye," I say as I wipe the tears off my face.

"I know I don't say this much, but I love you guys," I say to abuji, omma, and Liam.

Everyone stops what they're doing and looks at me with open mouths. In our household, we rarely use the words 'I love you.'

"I love you, too," said Liam. Then, he goes back to eating.

"Saranghae," said omma soon after, a little awkwardly.

"Me too," said abuji, not looking at me. I knew father meant well and that he also loved me, just that he had a hard time putting it into words.

---

omma means mom (informal)
abuji means father (formal)
saranghae in Korean means I love you (informal)
yachaejeon is a Korean vegetable pancake

---

I can't believe that I wrote this much! (☞゚ヮ゚)☞☜(゚ヮ゚☜)