Scottish Shower

Summer was always a difficult time for any engine, and this time around, Douglas found himself working ragged.

The need for more versatile freight engines put Douglas in a tight spot. As he could handle the trucks, he was often given the more challenging trains. Every night he'd return home hot and bothered, with barely any energy.

One morning, Douglas arrived to the yard at the big station, to find Niall straddling the rails, his crew as white as ghosts, the water tower bashed to one side, all of which were soaking wet.

"What's happened here lad!?"

Niall sniffed, and looked away.

"Tender derailed.."

"Could've been a lot worse!"

His stoker snapped, Douglas' driver raised an eyebrow.

"How so?"

He asked, inspecting the stoker.

"Tower almost fell on the water pipe, would've flooded the yard ya know!"

Douglas gasped, he'd never known the yard to flood!

"That bad eh?"

He asked, before smiling, the thoughts of cooling off seemed all too ideal to him.

"Wouldn'e mind a little bath maself!"

Douglas chuckled.

"While good on paper.."

His stoker smiled.

"It wouldn't do well for your lovely fire! Besides! We're far too busy to play around in such a thing!"

Of course, Niall pleaded his innocence to the whole thing, The Fat Controller wasn't very pleased with the whole ordeal.

"You'll be placed on goods trains until you can learn to behave!"

"But it wasn't my fault!"

Niall interjected. But The Fat Controller had made up his mind, as he left, Thomas busted in, looking worried.

"Heads up lads."

He puffed.

"Ashley's told me that the weathers only going to get hotter!"

"Under the pump no doubt!"

James murmured.

"And no way to fill up on water!"

He shot Niall a dirty look, Niall fumed!

"I told you! It wasn't my fault!"

Douglas sighed, and tried to pay more attention to the goings on in his cab, which seemed more pleasant than the argument.

The days passed, and the work only got worse and worse. The missing water tower didn't help, back ups occurred, and the engines started clashing. Douglas sighed loudly, through labored breaths, watching the new tower be put into place.

"It canne get any worse."

Of course. It did, as a few days later, Horace wasn't feeling well.

"His tubes are blocked up something fierce."

His stoker told The Fat Controller.

"A simple clean will do, although it'll take some time, about 2 or 3 hours I'm guessing."
The Fat Controller shook his head.

"Horace has a goods train in half an hour. I'll find a replacement while you clean him out."

He had no other choice, the work would pile up swiftly, it was out of his control. The only way they could go about it was splitting the train up.