Trees and Signalboxes

Wind and rain pelted the island of Sodor! All across the island, things were falling, and toppling over! Charles was helping to clear the track of leaves and broken branches. He and Duck were working hard to shift them to the works station, where a diesel engine from the other railway would take it on.

One of these days, Charles was heading down the line with a train of the branches. As he rounded a bend, he found there was a tree on his line!

"WHOA!"

Charles yelped!

"STOP!"

Charles' driver threw on the brakes! But it was too late! It was lucky the tree was wet, and must've been there for a short period of time, as, when Charles hit it, he found the tree just exploded! He was thankful it hadn't done more damage, or so he thought. The signalman came stomping and cursing out of the signal box!

"WHAT THE DEVIL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE PLAYING AT!"

He bellowed! Charles and his crew looked at the signal box. In the impact, some of the tree remains had been tossed into the signal box! Shattering some of the windows by the door!

"Bother!"

Snapped Charles!

"I was going so nicely too!"

Charles' crew started clearing up the line when Benedict came huffing past, slowly.

"Good grief my dear chap!"

He laughed!

"Having a bit of tree trouble!?"

"The rails were slippery!"

Charles snapped!

"I couldn't stop in time!"

"We express engines never struggle with such simple incidents! We are reliable!"

Charles scoffed, Benedict let off steam angrily!

"Insufferable little tank engine!"

He snorted, and puffed away.

"Don't mind him."

Douglas said. Who was helping to clear the mess.

"He's never dealt with trees. James once told me he was almost hit by one! With his mind set. I'm sure he'll get into trouble sooner or later!"

The next morning. Benedict was taking a fast goods train. He was running late due to some of Kermit's trucks becoming uncoupled over the junction. He was running well, and slowly making up for lost time!

"COME ON!"

He barked!

"COME ON! HURRY! HURRY! HURRY!"

"Easy old boy!"

His stoker shouted!

"EASY!"

But Benedict didn't listen. Although, it might have been better if he had. 

He flew through the radio station. When it happened! All of a sudden, a fallen tree appeared on the line in front of him!

"HORRORS!"

Benedict cried! His crew threw on the brakes, and jumped clear! But it was too late! Benedict hit the tree with a shuddering groan! He felt himself being thrown around, before he felt himself hitting something hard!

Once the crash had subsided, he opened his eyes. Benedict had hit the tree, that much was certain. However, to his horror, he found himself resting in the now ruined signalbox. Luckily, his trucks had stayed on the rails, and none of his crew were hurt, even the bewildered signalman only had a few scratches on him. Douglas and Charles were called to clear up the mess. Charles couldn't help but be cheeky.

"What did you sa...."

"Hush ye wee lad!"

Douglas interjected!

"The poor lads been through enough. Leave him in peace!"

Benedict felt a little better, and was soon lowered onto the rails. He wasn't able to move, so Charles took him to the works. 

After a long pause, Benedict spoke up.

"I'm sorry."

He said.

"I shouldn't have teased you yesterday. That was wrong of me, old chap."

"That's alright!"

Charles replied.

"I shouldn't have tried to make any comments."

"No, no."

Benedict interjected.

"You were in your right mind to do so. I did deserve it."

The two engines laughed, and continued happily chatting. 

Both are now firm friends, and often help each other. Benedict even helped Charles clear a fallen tree!