Broken Windows

All traffic was halted, as Nelson's crew inspected one of his coaches. They had been passing though Henry's forest, when a stray tree branch had come loose, and smashed one of the carriage windows. The Fat Controller inspected the coach.

"It seems like some of the trees are coming too close to the lineside."

Nelson's guard observed, gesturing towards a line of trees, with branches that hung close to the rails.

"It might be in our best interest to at least come up with some sort of solution?"

The Fat Controller considered the case for a moment, looking around the forest. Faith was right, many trees loomed coldly over the line, almost swallowing the sunlight.

"So it might seem!"

He spun on his heel, turning to the crew.

"I'll have workmen start cutting down trees that are too close for comfort. In the meantime, I'll sort out some speed restrictions, so the line is safe to traverse."

The news didn't go over well. While many of the engines considered it reasonable, and agreed with the decision, others didn't.

"Why do we need some silly speed restrictions?!"

Hector sulked.

"It's unfair that Nelson's blunders are shouldered onto us!"

"If it wasn't Nelson, it could've been anyone."

Douglas' driver replied.

"The Fat Controller said that a large number of trees have come too close to the line for comfort."

"It's for the passenger's safely more than anything."

JoAnne added.

"Just think if a branch hit someone! I'd hate to think of the damage it could do!"

But Hector wasn't swayed. Each time he'd pass the forest, he'd see the workmen busily cutting down trees, and loading them into empty trucks. He thought it was very silly indeed. To combat this, Hector started speeding.

The workmen were still cutting one blistering morning, and had just finished in one section. They were getting ready to move to the next, and were packing up their tools.

"These ones around the corner seem to be the worst of them."

Ralph's guard explained to her co-workers.

"Seems like that part of the forest has the most natural light, so they typically grow far larger than the others."

"Best be glad we have sensible engines running this line!"

His stoker smiled, placing her hands to her hips, forgetting why they were even assisting the workmen.

The workmen were soon just around the corner, and set to work again. Unaware of the danger ahead.

Hector was hurrying along with a goods train, trying to make up for the time he knew he'd lose. He scoffed, as the forest came into view.

"Silly speed restrictions indeed!"

He roared to himself.

"Fancy having to slow for something like that!"

The signs came flying passed, and Hector readied to slow down.

"D... Did you see the signs?"

His driver asked, rattling her brain for an answer. The engineer looked back, but didn't see it.

"Have they finished?"

She babbled. Hector grinned, a plan coming to his mind.

"Must've."

He snickered.

"About time!"

He carried on, still not slowing down. They came nearer and nearer to where the unsuspecting workmen were stood.

"Now for my plan."

He thought to himself. As they rounded the bend, they saw the workmen!

"Stop!!"

Cried Ralph's driver! But Hector didn't, he blew by! Unfortunately, he was still going too fast, it was only seconds later, a large tree branch came swinging down! Straight for Hector!

"OH!"

He whaled, as his brakes came on violently!

"HELP!!"

But it was too late, the branch swung straight into Hector's cab! Broken glass exploded everywhere! Thankfully, Hector's driver and engineer were unhurt, and quickly brought the train to stop!

"You miserable engine!"

His guard snapped, trying to soothe her balling daughter.

"If you weren't so stubborn, this would never have happened! It'll take a while to repair your windows, which will cause all sorts of trouble!"

Hector felt very ashamed. Made even worse when The Fat Controller arrived. He spoke strongly to the diesel, most of which I can't repeat. Hector was very sheepish, and offered to swap jobs with Ralph until his new windows arrived.

"For the time being."

The Fat Controller said, darkly.

"It'll have to do."

So, that's what he did. Over the last few weeks of the cutting, Hector assisted the workmen, moving tools and taking the cut down trees to the nearby lumber mill. While he did enjoy the quiet work, each time an engine would pass, they'd make the same sound of glass shattering, which Hector found very silly indeed.