Murdoch And The Manor

Murdoch stood, just watching the large manor that stood near the old signal. It was a large, white building, which seemed to always beckon for your attention. It was, to Murdoch at least, a beautiful building. One that seemed rare to find.

Seconds later, the signal dropped.

"Come on old boy."

His driver yawned.

"Let's get you home!"

Murdoch silently set off.

The manor had left his mind by the time Murdoch arrived to the big station. As he moved his trucks into a siding, he stopped The Fat Controller, walking towards him.

"Hullo Murdoch."

The Fat Controller spoke confidently.

"I have a special job for you. I'm sure you've seen that Manor beyond the airport station?"

Murdoch raised an eyebrow.

"The manor sir?"

He quizzed.

"Indeed. You see, no one can look after it anymore, and the old owner wants the house knocked down."

Murdoch was shocked!

"Knocked down! It looks in perfect shape to me sir!"

"That just may be. But it's what the owner wants."

He paused impressively, allowing Murdoch time to process the whole thing.

"They've asked me to have a pair of engines shift some supplies. So it can be done far more efficiently. I want to put you in charge of the trains. I've also asked Douglas and James to assist with this project."

"I'll try ma best sir."

Murdoch murmured. He didn't know why, but he felt sad. The building had become a common staple for the engines. He sauntered off, quietly.

The days seemed to slowly tick by, as the supplies were readied. Murdoch helped move them about, not once speaking a word.

"He's been oddly quiet?"

His driver remarked happily.

"Wonder what's up?"

"I think it's over the manor?"

His stoker replied.

"He seems to at least like the spot. Maybe he's not just some grumpy mixed traffic engine after all."

However one morning, Ben wasn't feeling well. His passenger train was placed onto Murdoch.

He huffed into Edward's station, still very quiet. He perked up when he saw the Vicar pacing the platform.

"What's with you?"

The Scottish engine snapped. The Vicar shook his head, his expression downcast.

"I've just had some bad news."

He sighed.

"My friend is the leader of a foster home. The house they'd been staying at was burnt down last night."

Murdoch blinked, his crew seemed far more sympathetic.

"Why would anyone do such a thing!?"

His guard shivered.

"It seems to be an electrical failure."

The Vicar replied.

"I'm afraid they don't have anything left. It's an awful shame. Imagine having no where to go. If only we had a miracle."

The silence was as thick as ice. No one knew what to say. Suddenly, Murdoch had an idea.

"Ya know!"

He chirped up.

"What about the manor? It's about to get knocked down, I'm sure they'd change their mind!"

"That would be a wonderful idea!"

The Vicar cheered!

"Let me quickly make the arrangements right away!"

And he skipped away! His crew smiled at one another.

"Told ya."

His stoker snickered.

Murdoch seemed to hope for the best, and that evening, he got his answer. He was just filling up on water, when The Fat Controller arrived, followed by another man.

"Murdoch. I'd like you to meet Mr Fergus Duncan."

The Fat Controller smiled.

"He's the man who The Vicar spoke about."

Murdoch smiled slightly, but didn't speak. The man stepped forwards.

"Words cannot describe how much I must thank you for this!"

He spoke, almost choking back tears.

"It was looking really rough for a moment. But you've come in and saved the day!"

"So... Does this mean the manor will be saved?"

The Fat Controller laughed.

"Of course it does! Mr Duncan here will be restoring it to full working order!"

Murdoch tried not to show it, but his face told all. He couldn't help but smile.

The manor is now fully operational once again. The children often run down the hill, and watch and wave to the engines as they pass by. Murdoch doesn't care much for them. But he always gives a friendly whistle, not just to say "Hullo!" But to say thank you to the new owner, for saving the manor. Mr Duncan often watches the engines too, and always mouths the words 'thank you' as Murdoch rattles by.