Connie's Kitchen Fiasco

The Fat Controller always gets lunch at M.C.Bun, a small cafe right by his office. It's run and owned by Lily and Connie, two of the cooks at my dorm.

While Lily tends to make more extravagant and crazy foods, Connie is far simpler than that. She often cooks things like egg and bacon rolls, meat pies, or The Fat Controller's Favourite, chicken and gravy sandwiches.

A frequent visitor of the shop is Katy, one of the station master's along the line. She also has a dog, Rodrick, or as the crews call him, the beast.

Rodrick is... a... Well, he's something alright. He's just simply a menace, so much so it's hard to write down everything he's done or does...

Katy always keeps an eye on the unstoppable machine, but sometimes, things slip up.

One morning, Katy entered the shop, with Rodrick in tow.

"Hey Katy! What's it today?"

Lily smiled politely.

"I'm not quite sure."

Katy replied softly, tapping her chin.

"Mind if I just have a moment."

It was that simple moment, that made the disaster inevitable. Rodrick watched, as his owner stopped paying attention to him. Usually this was fine, but Rodrick is a vacuum when hungry, and the sweet scent of chicken was too much for him to bear. Without anyone seeing, the beast slipped into the kitchen.

Connie was just getting some food ready, when Rodrick trotted in. Now, on a normal day, you wouldn't expect a big dog to just wonder on into the kitchen, not even Connie was, she turned her back to the door, getting some more small things ready. This was Rodrick's perfect chance to strike. He launched forwards, digging his front teeth into the chicken on the counter. Connie heard the noise, and spun around, just to see Rodrick start galloping away!

"Huh!? WAIT!!! STOP!!!"

She cried! Bounding after the golden being. Rodrick tore out of the kitchen, and headed straight for the open door! Lily and Katy watched in horror!

"Rodrick drop!!"

Katy cried, but it seemed fruitless! He was already moving out the door, onto the open platform! Connie and Katy hurried quickly after him!

The platform wasn't nearly as busy as it tended to be, as Rodrick charged out!

"What on earth!"

Douglas' guard cried! The crew quickly tried to cut him off, but Rodrick didn't stop! He bowled over the driver, and scampered towards the ramp!

"Stop!"

Connie yelped! Hoping it would slow him down... But everything else that's happened, clearly it didn't. Rodrick was just about to take off down the ramp, when a shape emerged from the side of the building.

"Stop that dog!"

Katy screamed! The figure was much faster than it looked. Quickly grasping the dog around the collar, and holding on for dear life! This seemed to finally work, as the golden menace finally halted.

"Phew! That was close!"

Connie sighed, mopping her brow.

"Quick thinking sir! Would've been a disaster if you hadn't been there!"

It has been lucky for them, as The Fat Controller had been collecting a package from the carpark, and had been inspecting the gutters. He mopped his brow and smiled.

"Any time. Luckily no one was hurt at least."

"Well... All but the chicken."

Douglas' stoker giggled. Mistie was right, the chicken wasn't looking so tasty anymore.

"Oh dear."

Lily gasped.

"That isn't good! Do we have any chicken even left?"

"Just a little bit!"

Connie replied.

"Enough for a few special sandwiches for the Rodrick catcher!"

"You're too kind!"

And everyone laughed! The two cooks, along with an embarrassed owner, and a grumpy dog walked away.

"Well. Would you look at that!"

Douglas' driver smiled.

"All's well that ends well huh?"

Douglas agreed, and set off with his goods train, looking forward to telling the engines' the story.