Cat Got Your Train?

Patches is Kelly's cat. He often just sits lazily around the station, purring happily whenever any of the engine crews stop and pet him, or claws at you, for no real reason.

He's almost the big station's mascot.

"He'll put a smile on anyone's face."

The station master smiled, carrying her cat like a sack of bricks.

The only engine who seemed far more iffy on the railway's furry friend, was Wallabee. He liked the cat, but he never felt so sure whenever the cat plodded along the yard's lineside.

"It's not safe!"

Wallaby snapped at the sheds one night.

"Imagine if that furry creature strolled in front of a moving train! I'd hate to see poor Kelly in a state!"

"He's smarter than you think."

Douglas' driver chuckled.

"He knows what to look out for. He might be a animal, but he's a very smart one."

"He's ridden in the cabs before too."

Doc yawned.

"He's just a very friendly cat is all."

"Maybe it wouldn't hurt to say hullo."

Douglas added. Wallabee snarled.

"What do you think it'll do! Say hullo back! It's just a cat after all!"

Sadly for Wallabee. All of his crew were very fond of cats, and one morning, while Wallabee was filling up with water, he found Patches roaming his cab, giving his crew endless entertainment. He rolled onto his back, meowed and did other simple cat things, which his crew all ogled over.

He flopped happily down with a solid 'ploop.' His crew had been so entertained, they hadn't noticed the regulator. Due to Patches overall weight. When he'd flopped against the regulator, it had nudged it, ever so slightly. Steam continued to trickle into his cylinders.

His crew hopped happily down, leaving the fat feline to nap his heart away.

"Alright lad! We'll be right back!"

His driver smiled.

"Connie's getting our lunch ready, so we'll nip over to M.C.Bun and be back in a tick!"

"Mh-hm."

Wallabee replied, his eyes closed. Clearly trying to rest, his crew shrugged, and walked happily away.

Wallabee didn't mind the quiet now. He sighed, and slowly started drifting off.

He was awoken to a weird feeling, he felt his wheels slowly turning.

"We off already?"

He yarned groggily. However, no one replied.

"Paige??"

He asked for his driver. Nothing.

"Naomi!?"

He called for his stoker. Nothing.

"Mandy!!"

He shouted for his guard, still nothing! To Wallabee's horror, he found himself steaming closer to the mainline!

"Oh glory! Help!!"

He whaled! This woke a very fat cat in his cab. The yard manager heard the cries from her office. She took off in a flash of light!.. Or as fast as she could?

Wallabee watched the mainline come closer and closer!

"Look out!!!"

He cried, seeing Duck rattling towards him! He shut his eyes in horror! But, as if like magic, he felt something press on his brakes, and he slowly came to a stop.

He opened his eyes, as Duck whistled passed! Only inches away from the points. The yard manager hurried over!

"What happened!?"

She gasped, through laboured breaths. His crew, hearing the commotion, hurried along behind.

"I... Don't know!"

Wallabee panted.

"One moment I was moving, the next I've stopped."

"But... How?"

They didn't have to wait long, as a second later. Patches' head popped out of the cab, letting out a long, drawn out meow.

"Did Patches just!?"

His stoker gasped. The driver nodded.

"Seems like Patches here's learning how to stop trains!"

"... Good Boy ..."

His guard croaked, patting the grumbling cat on the head.

"Yes."

Wallabee finally replied, a smile growing across his face.

"Thank you. Hunter was right, you are a smart cat after all!"

Patches still stays on the railway. He wander's the yards like nothing ever happened. In fact, not much has changed. All but Wallabee's opinion on the feline. He often tries to talk to the fat cat, and always allows his crew to let him in the cab.

Patches and Wallabee seem to have become firm friends. And, every night. Wallabee always make sure Patches make it back to the crew dorms, just in time for dinner.